My freenas wont start up. Fatal Trap 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

maglin

Patron
Magnus don't go from one not supported config to another. Don't ever use ESATA or USB of any kind for your array for FreeNAS. Please read the recommended hardware thread and even spend some time reading issues that pop up over the course of a few months. You will clearly see a trend on what people do that causes issues and even total loss of data as you have just experienced.

BTW you said you wanted the security that FreeNAS brings but in your current config you loose all of it. Not to mention I'm sure performance is hindered as the raid controller is prefetching as well as FreeNAS prefetching. BTW sorry about your current experience.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Its an good experience all in all.
This helps me in the future and some how I have to learn it the hard way, other wise it dont could lol

So wouls a card like this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-LSI0013...507460?hash=item25bd0c9184:g:NBQAAOSwagdXSaCX
Be prefered ?

All the cards that I find are raid cards. I cant find any cards that acts as a normal 8x or 16x sata ports.

Or can I configure my RocketRAID 2340 so it works.

Last edited:

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
In the manual on my raid card it says the following :

Legacy disk
Disks attached to the RocketRAID 2340 that contain valid partition tables will be identified as legacy disks.
A legacy disk attached to the RocketRAID 2340 can be accessed by the operating system, but cannot be used to create RAID arrays.
A legacy disk must be initialized before assigning it to an array.

Main problem are that all disks are initialized atm.
I've killed off my array and will try to get the as legacy disks.
Other wise i need to sneak in a 16 port card or 2x 8 port cards of the IBM that's high on your recomended list.
I'll notify you all later on how it goes.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
And it works!!

Made an RaidZ now with the disks in Legacy mode.
I just had to remove all the disks, repartition and format them on my laptop.
Also had to dismantle an usb disk for the controller board on it ;) but all in all its worth it.

So this will probable net me alot less problems in the future. Unless I cause them lol

So now to start rebuilding everything.

Another question about Plex, should I keep the database in the jail or have it external ??

Regards Magnus Svensson

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Here are my disks :

<SAMSUNG HD322GJ 1AR10001> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<HPT DISK 0_0 4.00> at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da0)
<HPT DISK 0_1 4.00> at scbus5 target 1 lun 0 (pass2,da1)
<HPT DISK 0_2 4.00> at scbus5 target 2 lun 0 (pass3,da2)
<HPT DISK 0_3 4.00> at scbus5 target 3 lun 0 (pass4,da3)
<HPT DISK 0_4 4.00> at scbus5 target 4 lun 0 (pass5,da4)
<HPT DISK 0_5 4.00> at scbus5 target 5 lun 0 (pass6,da5)
<HPT DISK 0_6 4.00> at scbus5 target 6 lun 0 (pass7,da6)
<HPT DISK 0_7 4.00> at scbus5 target 7 lun 0 (pass8,da7)
<HPT DISK 0_8 4.00> at scbus5 target 8 lun 0 (pass9,da8)
<HPT DISK 0_9 4.00> at scbus5 target 9 lun 0 (pass10,da9)
<HPT DISK 0_10 4.00> at scbus5 target 10 lun 0 (pass11,da10)
<HPT DISK 0_11 4.00> at scbus5 target 11 lun 0 (pass12,da11)
<HPT DISK 0_12 4.00> at scbus5 target 12 lun 0 (pass13,da12)
<HPT DISK 0_13 4.00> at scbus5 target 13 lun 0 (pass14,da13)
<HPT DISK 0_14 4.00> at scbus5 target 14 lun 0 (pass15,da14)
<HPT DISK 0_15 4.00> at scbus5 target 15 lun 0 (pass16,da15)

It looks as I'm getting smart info from them.
The Samsung disk are my boot disk.

Dice

Wizard

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
That's an improvement, but still not what you want to see, as the controller's still interposing itself.

Yes, but I think its as close as I can get with the current setup.

Thanks, Its looking really intresting.
The card have 8 ports, but supports up to 256 disks.
How do you expand it to more ? Just add more cards or cards that multiply an sata port ?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Dice

Wizard

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
the photos that I've lost on a Single 1.5T disk that I had as backup
What makes you think this is lost? It was a separate pool, right? It should not have been affected by any issues with the RAID controller.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Thanks alot!
I've just added this om my list on what to get as next parts for my server.

So for future reference should I keep all the disks in he case or build around 4 to 8 bay external enclose ?

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
What makes you think this is lost? It was a separate pool, right? It should not have been affected by any issues with the RAID controller.

I cant import the disk, and there are alot of error messages when its in the system.
So I'am going to write that one off atm.
I might try and get it in to the system in a week or so, but now I need to configure the server and move it back in its place =)
The disk are in a hotswap case so its easy to put it in and see how it will will go.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks alot!
I've just added this om my list on what to get as next parts for my server.

So for future reference should I keep all the disks in he case or build around 4 to 8 bay external enclose ?

Yes, you should really try to keep all the disks in the same case as the server if reasonably possible, because if you lose power to an external enclosure that's responsible for maybe half your disks, ZFS probably won't be able to cope with what appears to be massive pool damage.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Yes, you should really try to keep all the disks in the same case as the server if reasonably possible, because if you lose power to an external enclosure that's responsible for maybe half your disks, ZFS probably won't be able to cope with what appears to be massive pool damage.

Thanks, I was thinking of building 4 or 5 smaller pools with all disks in the same enclosure. So if the power goes byby for one enclosure then it wont harm the pool as much.
But when I build that so will I have an ups for the pools and server as safety net :)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I cant import the disk, and there are alot of error messages when its in the system.
You might be able to recover it using GNU ddrescue.

Perhaps that disk was the root of your trouble. You already wiped the RAID members, right? :(

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
You might be able to recover it using GNU ddrescue.

Perhaps that disk was the root of your trouble. You already wiped the RAID members, right? :(
Thats what I'am thinking too.

It was a chain of events that pulled that disk that draged everything with it to hell ;)
I have 2 streams on the server with plex, Sab downloading and I was transferering photos to my pad.
When the switch got its power supply cut as daughter wanted to move to the other side of the room while charging her pad.
Plex have its database err had the database on the disk.

I waited a good 5 min to turnoff the server as it was black and nothing could wake it up.
So if I waited 1 or 2 hours to give the server some breathing time would probable have saved my array.

But then I could not have learned what I know now and took 3 or 4 big steps closer to understanding how my next system should work like.
My next system needs to be as redundant as possible. As we are planing to move to the countryside in Philippines in about 5 years.
They have 1 to around 300 brownouts a day and around 1 or 2 times a month you have power outtake on 1 to 4 hr's.
So an good ups are needed for extra security even if we have our own batterys with solar and wind power charging them.

But all in all this is a really good learning experience for me.
On the up side the server feels a lot faster and smoother now ;)

So THANKS a lot of all the advice =)

Regards Magnus Svensson

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes, but I think its as close as I can get with the current setup.

Thanks, Its looking really intresting.
The card have 8 ports, but supports up to 256 disks.
How do you expand it to more ? Just add more cards or cards that multiply an sata port ?
Yes this is as good as you can get with your card but remember you could still wake up one day and your data will be lost. This card is still not safe to use with zfs imo. Power outages, random dropped disks that have timed out and any odd blip that happens in the filesystem are all things that could cause your pool to go corrupt. Non of these thing would matter if you used a proper hba.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Yes this is as good as you can get with your card but remember you could still wake up one day and your data will be lost. This card is still not safe to use with zfs imo. Power outages, random dropped disks that have timed out and any odd blip that happens in the filesystem are all things that could cause your pool to go corrupt. Non of these thing would matter if you used a proper hba.

I understan that, a good hba are on my list to get asap for the server.
I have a 4 bay usb external enclose that will be plugged in to server as backup while I migrate over to the new card.

Atm so am I thinking about an 8 port card and expander or 2x 8 port cards. Its about the same price.
I am leaning little more to the 2x 8 port card. As I cant fit more then 18 disks in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.