RAM: 8 x 8gb ecc ddr3 sticks and 4 x 4gb ecc ddr3 sticks
12 2tb SAS hard drives
1 256gb NVME pcie ssd

FreeNAS is installed on a usb 2 usb flash drive

Thanks in advance,

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Fatal trap 12: page fault in kernel mode, see image
A page fault is usually the result of a memory error. The system went looking for data that should have been in RAM, but it either wasn't there or the data that was there had been corrupted.
Although this problem came to light in conjunction with your upgrade and reboot, I don't think it is a result of the upgrade.

I would suggest that you first do some testing on your memory in an effort to find the defective module. It could also be a result of the mismatched assortment of memory modules you are using. It is normally best to have matching capacity and quantity of modules.

piersbow

Cadet
A page fault is usually the result of a memory error. The system went looking for data that should have been in RAM, but it either wasn't there or the data that was there had been corrupted.
Although this problem came to light in conjunction with your upgrade and reboot, I don't think it is a result of the upgrade.

I would suggest that you first do some testing on your memory in an effort to find the defective module. It could also be a result of the mismatched assortment of memory modules you are using. It is normally best to have matching capacity and quantity of modules.

i installed 11.1 u7 again and it worked fine, i have tried the upgrade before and gotten the same error

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
i installed 11.1 u7 again and it worked fine, i have tried the upgrade before and gotten the same error
There could be some incompatibility with the new version of FreeBSD that is the base OS for the new version of FreeNAS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
what do you advise i do to solve the issue?
Did you try the advice that @dlavigne gave? It is worth a try.
Resolving Boot Issues

While the new boot loader fixes boot issues for some hardware, it may result in boot issues for other hardware. If the updated system does not boot, do not panic as your data is still intact. To resolve:
  1. It is possible that the copy operations from the update stressed the boot device, which is rather common for USB media. To test this, perform a fresh install of 11.2-RELEASE on a new boot device. If that succeeds, restore your saved config.
  2. If a fresh install fails, try it one more time while selecting the other option in the Boot Mode screen of the installer. In other words, if it failed with the UEFI option, try the BIOS option and vice versa. If that install works, restore your saved config.
  3. If the fresh install still fails, perform a fresh install of your previous version (previous versions are available from https://download.freenas.org/) and restore your saved config. This will bring the system back to its original version and configuration, before you attempted to update. Then, go to System → Support and open a ticket so a developer can help determine which hardware is preventing the system from booting.