My freenas wont start up. Fatal Trap 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Just depends on the number of PCI slots you have. My case has a built-in expander so I just use that with one lsi-9211.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Just depends on the number of PCI slots you have. My case has a built-in expander so I just use that with one lsi-9211.
Think I have 2 or 3 that arent used atm.

So that should be easy to get an expander in then, then I can expand it to all 18 disks and migrate over to 2x usb sticks that FreeNAS are on.

Are there any way to get FreeNAS to make a backup on the configuration and jails to an external source as Dropbox or Google Drive ??

Dice

Wizard
Think I have 2 or 3 that arent used atm.
It is be cheaper to get 3x9211-8i than getting a single expander.
Additional advantage: distributed point of failures.
(edit: well perhaps not - if enough drives are in the same pool?)

Last edited:

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
Thats why I'am thinking about two cards, then its always half of the data that will take a walk.
The rest are safe and sound at home.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I got my expanders for $60 each brand new.

Dice

Wizard
Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sure, but if you want to pick one up at the store you need to pay a lot more :\

I'm a frekvent shopper on ebay and I'am going to put up a good list on what to get in upgrades for my server =)

Well, walking into a store and buying a SAS expander won't work in most of the US either. We just don't have decent stores like that. I can't think of any stores within 1000 miles of me that would have something like that...

Dice

Wizard
Even on eBay?
Cheapest I could find (including from the US) would be $240. Plus estimated $32 shipping. Add $60 Import taxes.
Do you find anything cheaper? please provide a link.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Are there any way to get FreeNAS to make a backup on the configuration and jails to an external source as Dropbox or Google Drive ??
There are command-line tools from Amazon and Google, and 3rd-party command-line tools like rclone. There's the s3cmd FreeNAS plugin.

Another approach is to backup a share from a client computer, using a utility such as Arq Backup.

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
There are command-line tools from Amazon and Google, and 3rd-party command-line tools like rclone. There's the s3cmd FreeNAS plugin.

Another approach is to backup a share from a client computer, using a utility such as Arq Backup.
Wonderful :)
I'm going to Google the Google way.
I have 100gb space there now to backup my photos lol

It would be a good place to backup the settings and the jails :)

Dice

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler

Dice

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How would you rate this card?
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162085507460

Are it usable or just as bad at my rr2340?

Regards Magnus Svensson.

I wouldn't spend a dime on 3Gb/sec stuff at this point. They're limited to 2TB drives, they're slow (which may not matter), they are old and deprecated, etc. Even with the "they're slow" not mattering, the fact they are limited to 2TB disks makes them pretty useless. Why buy something like that only to be forced to upgrade later? Just spend a bit more and get the LSI card *everyone* is using with FreeNAS.

If/when things go wrong, you don't want to be the "odd man out" because your hardware is sufficiently unique that nobody else cares about your problem and you can't troubleshoot/fix it yourself. :P

Magnus Svensson

Dabbler
If/when things go wrong, you don't want to be the "odd man out" because your hardware is sufficiently unique that nobody else cares about your problem and you can't troubleshoot/fix it yourself. :p

That what I feel atm lol

Ive read your writing up on rr's raid card and Iam a bit worried for the next cash that will probably occure again this year Hahaha!
Do you have any 16 port card to recommend or should I get 2x 8 port card?

Status
Not open for further replies.