Where is the FreeNAS 7.x forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~GW~

Dabbler
Where are the support forums for FreeNAS 7.x?

Many would still be using that as there is no upgrade path from 7.x to 8.x unless you redo all your disks, and re-add all of your data on those drives.

Where do I ask for help with 7.x questions?

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
It still surprises me, though it shouldn't, how many people just "don't see" the link at the top of the page that says "FreeNAS 7 Forums"....

Brand

It still surprises me, though it shouldn't, how many people just don't bother to do a Google search for "FreeNAS 7 Forums". A little hint for those that can't find it, its the very first result that Google returns when doing a Goole search for "FreeNAS 7 Forums".

~GW~

Dabbler
It still surprises me how people think that the link to the forums for v7 is so oblivious, if it was then it would be seen and used. Why it is not part of the main forums, it should be in one set of forums for all FreeNAS discussions no matter what version, by all means have a section for both versions but have them in one parent forum, which then resolves the issue of it not being seen.

Oh and how many use the v7 forums, not mean going by the posts hence why those using v7 want to post in these forums in a hope that their post may get a reply.

GW

Brand

it should be in one set of forums for all FreeNAS discussions no matter what version, by all means have a section for both versions but have them in one parent forum, which then resolves the issue of it not being seen.

I agree (extra characters to satisfy dumb rule)

ProtoSD

MVP
Can you imagine the confusion and even more stupid questions that would clutter these forums if both were combined??

They are separate because they are completely different other than the name. It's bad enough now when people can't tell you what version they're using, but considering the major differences, a major portion of the posts would be trying to verify who was talking about what resulting in wrong answers. As it is in these forums, people still can't post their questions in the proper sections. Having them separate allows the people that develop each version to clearly see what people are having trouble with and respond more directly without wasting valuable development time responding to questions about a different product that they are not involved with. Bitching about lack of support in the FreeNAS 7 forums in the FreeNAS 8 forums will not get you any sympathy or solve the problem with the lack support in those forums. Sorry....

EDIT: and for those FreeNAS 7 users that may see this and still not see the link for the FreeNAS 7 forums at the top of the page, here it is:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/index.php

~GW~

Dabbler
Can you imagine the confusion and even more stupid questions that would clutter these forums if both were combined??

I am not asking for them to be combined. All that needs to happen is add the v7.x forums under a category heading of FreeNAS 7 Forums just like there is the FreeNAS 8 Forums. Not that hard really and it would stop the confusion as people could then post in their respective version of FreeNAS forums and not have to go and find a completely separate forum on another url for the v7.x help. Seriously why would you think otherwise this is the 'forums' for FreeNAS?

They are separate because they are completely different other than the name. It's bad enough now when people can't tell you what version they're using, but considering the major differences, a major portion of the posts would be trying to verify who was talking about what resulting in wrong answers. As it is in these forums, people still can't post their questions in the proper sections. Having them separate allows the people that develop each version to clearly see what people are having trouble with and respond more directly without wasting valuable development time responding to questions about a different product that they are not involved with. Bitching about lack of support in the FreeNAS 7 forums in the FreeNAS 8 forums will not get you any sympathy or solve the problem with the lack support in those forums. Sorry....

*Sigh*... We know it is a separate version, but so what? Again just to be clear for you it would be simple enough to have a second set of forums on the forums.freenas.org site with the heading category of, you guessed it, FreeNAS 7 Forums and then have a set of sub-forums under that just like there is for the FreeNAS 8 Forums. Then people could post in the sub-forums of the version to which they have, that being either 7.x or 8.x.

The only bitching going on here is people like yourself not seeing the logic of having the forums on the one site and just split between FreeNAS 8 Forums and FreeNAS 7 Forums.

This would then stop version 7.x users from posting in the v8 forums as they could 'clearly' see the set of forums for the v7.x version. This by the way is what I logically did when I came to these forums. I saw the FreeNAS 8 Forums and scrolled down to (logically) find the FreeNAS 7 Forums for me to post in, but no they did not exist on this site, they for an odd reason are on a completely different site - which is in my opinion counter productive and the number 1 reason why people that use v7.x post in the v8.x forums.

I hope I have cleared that up for you and made it easy to understand what is actually being asked for or suggested to be done.

ProtoSD

MVP
I get what you are suggesting, but it's not going to happen. FreeNAS 7 & FreeNAS 8 are separate entities/companies/groups of people and putting resources into the "other guys" project isn't practical. Then what happens, those 7 users will want all those posts moved over here to theses forums? and why? because people can't get the support they want over there? So they come over here and expect support from a product who's lifetime is near an end? What's so bloody difficult about just using the existing 7 forums that have been in place for years?

This would then stop version 7.x users from posting in the v8 forums as they could 'clearly' see the set of forums for the v7.x version.

Based on the number of FN7 questions posted here after the rules clearly state no FN7 questions and the button up in the title bar, I kind of doubt it would still be clear enough.

Please, I don't want to be a jerk about, I think everyone understands what you are saying, just use the FN7 forums if you want to use/get support (or no support) for that version. If you want to use FN8, then you're welcome use these forums. If you were aware of all the moderating that goes on to TRY and keep these forums organized and helpful, it might make more sense to you too.

~GW~

Dabbler
...snip FreeNAS 7 & FreeNAS 8 are separate entities/companies/groups of people and putting resources into the "other guys" project isn't practical. snip....

Ah see that is what I did not know, I wrongly assumed that both versions were/are developed by the same people. So is FreeNAS 8 a fork of FreeNAS 7 or just a same name but different application (which is causing the confusion)?

Cheers for the update

ProtoSD

MVP
Ah see that is what I did not know, I wrongly assumed that both versions were/are developed by the same people. So is FreeNAS 8 a fork of FreeNAS 7 or just a same name but different application (which is causing the confusion)?

Cheers for the update

I wish I could remember where I saw the explanation so I could post it without getting something wrong. I guess you could say it's a fork, it's been completely rewritten. The original creator sort of handed over the reins to the new guys. I think iXsystems slurped up the rights to it as well as PCBSD. Now they are sponsoring the development of FN8 by employing a handful of 5 people or so. I think once FreeNAS 8.2 gets on it's feet, the FN7 group is going to move on to other things and retire FN7.

That's just from my foggy memory of some different interviews I've seen and/or read.

Status
Not open for further replies.