Migrating from FreeNAS 7.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcharles

Dabbler
Hi,
After using FreeNAS 7 for many years I am now migrating to a new box with FreeNAS 8.3
I had no idea so much has changed and that it is actually all new except the name :smile:
Anyway I am learning step by step and hoping to get to the datatransfer part soon. Setting up the disks at the moment.
I am missing the log viewer function of the old FreeNAS 7 though or is it somewhere hidden in the WebGUI where I did not find it yet...

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi kingcharles,

In the GUI, go to Settings -> Advanced & check the box for "Show console messages in the footer". Refresh your browser & you should get a black box with green text in the bottom of the GUI that displays the last 3 or 4 lines of /var/log/messages. If you click on it you should get a pop-up window that displays the last 20 or so lines of the log. If you need more than that you can use the "Shell" option in the left side tree-view to directly access the CLI or just turn on ssh & ssh in.

-Will

kingcharles

Dabbler
Hi Will, thanks for the tip. It is very useful to have the latest messages at the bottom of the page!
Too bad the FreeNAS 7 log viewer is gone though I always had it set to keep the last 1000 entries, it was a nice feature of the old GUI. I guess FreeNAS 8 wants me to use shell more. Which is OK because I discovered the shell popup button and this is also a great feature!
So overall really happy with the new system. I am transferring the data from the old box to the new one using Rsync now, it takes some time...
Also diving into the plugin system to see if I can get dnla and daap going again!

kingcharles

Dabbler
So after two weeks of playing around and getting familiar with the new Web GUI and plug-ins feature I must say that I am really very glad that I made the upgrade! Everything works perfectly and there is a lot of freedom for the user.
Fantastic job from the developers, I am very grateful for their work.
And to make log file viewing easier for the lazy like me :), I added this daily cron job to copy the logs to a directory easily accessible.

yes | cp -a /var/log/* /mnt/JBOD/System/Logfiles

Status
Not open for further replies.