Freenas 7 > 8 Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinduplessis

Dabbler
Hi all

I've been using Freenas for a few years without problems. However, I just tried to upgrade from my version 7.x to version 8 and I lost my configuration.

When I booted with the V8 CD, I selected New / Upgrade option, I selected the hard drive I want to install to and let it do it's thing. When it came back online, it was on the wrong IP, and all my other configs, including disks are gone.

Luckely I've made a backup of the config before I stared, however, (I should've know), when I tried to restore the V7 xml file to the new V8 system, I simply get "invalid file" error.

I tried the auto-import, without any luck.

What's my best course of action without losing the data on my old raid?

I've attached my V7 XML config file.

Many thanks,
Hein

Attachments

• config-freenas.local-20030516152524.xml.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 331

heinduplessis

Dabbler
Debriefing:

I downloaded version 7.2 (oldest one I could find) and it would refuse to come online. After frantic shuffling of hardware without success I found my old version 7.1 download, which came online, restored the xml, and the world's a happy place again!

Not to sound snotty, but I wish the developer would make the fact that you can't upgrade from the previous version prominent.

/me lovin' freenas again

raulfg3

Dabbler
Debriefing:

Not to sound snotty, but I wish the developer would make the fact that you can't upgrade from the previous version prominent.

/me lovin' freenas again

Please read first the ReleaseNotes.txt I see a big warnig about this:

UPGRADES FROM FREENAS 0.7x ARE UNSUPPORTED The system has no way to import configuration settings from 0.7 versions of FreeNAS, but the volume importer should handle volumes created with FreeNAS 0.7. Please note that zpool upgrade is a one way street, and upgraded volumes will not be usable with FreeNAS 0.7.x

Brand

Actually you sound very snotty because you obviously didn't do any of the proper research required prior to the major version upgrade that you were trying to do. It is posted in many places throughout the website in places like the Documentation, ReadMe, Wiki, RoadMap, and Forums.

heinduplessis

Dabbler
Actually you sound very snotty because you obviously didn't do any of the proper research required prior to the major version upgrade that you were trying to do. It is posted in many places throughout the website in places like the Documentation, ReadMe, Wiki, RoadMap, and Forums.

I realise this, I apologise, I was just frustrated spending hours on something that I did not anticipate. I have actually searched in this forum, no idea I had to watch the roadmap, and the upgrade notes just mentioned a backup, full install and restore. Obviously this was for 8.0 - 8.01 beta.

Again, sorry for my tone, I have the greatest respect for the developers on this great project, and the guys always willing to help out on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.