removing drives and making a new zpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Man

Explorer
so i have a dumb questions, that i have not seen over the years i have been lurking in freenas forums since i built my rig. i have attempted searching, but i think i am searching the wrong tags either way i can not find the answer
( Intel Xeon E3 1241V3;MBD-X10SL7-F-O;(2)Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) CT2KIT102472BD160B;(6)Seagate 4tb STBD4000400)
Long story short, i have 8 of the 14 sata posts filled ( 6 from zpool and 2 for os )
if i remove 1 disk out of a z3 and install seven NEW disks and make a new zpool can i pull all the data off of my old zpool ( 6 disk with 1 removed) to copy it to the new one ( 7 disk complete ) ? -- please note i am not asking how to, just can i use the pool with 1 disk missing, i know you can rebuild with new disks. but i dont know if you can use it with disks missing....

reason would be i plan on completely removing the old zpool and upgrading, if you will to the new 7 disk pool and if possible i would like to not have to buy a lsi sata card, to do this

thanks for any and all help

pro lamer

Guru
Seems possible, why not. And removing temporarily one drive from a 6 disk raidz3 seems safe too if it's this way... (message from a noob)

EDIT: is your power supply sufficient for 14 drives?

Last edited:

Mega Man

Explorer
This thread got duplicated, mods I am sorry. Please feel free to delete\combine

As to the PSU probably not, but for temp, yes I have plenty of psus including several 1600w psus (quality) , actually the router and my freenas have the lowest watt psus

Status
Not open for further replies.