Help to add a new drive to an existing config, outside the original raidz2 pool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Community,

I'll be the first to suggest reading and searching, and I have been, perhaps I'm not asking the right question, but I really don't want to destroy my zpool again, so I ask for your help...

I'm running the latest FreeNas 8 release,

I'm using 8 drives in a raidz2 config (they work great!)

I'd like to add another 2tb drive, but not to the raidz2 array, just as a staging area, either formatted zfs or ufs.

problem is, no matter how I try, once i connect the new sata drive, my adaX names shift, the pool still works, but now instead of ad3, its the gpt id. On top of that every drive after has shifted in name. so instead of ad0-7 the last drive is ada8, but when i go to format the new drive in the webgui, ada8 is the only free drive, I'm thinking ada7 is likely the free drive now, but there is no other drive to select BUT ada8. I get an error somethiing like cannot gpt format...

If anyone can help me, I don't mind reading links, thats how you learn, seems though everytime i think i find a similar problem it's freenas 7 related, so the knowledge doesn't go...

My layout is as so:

6 sata on motherboard
2xpci 4 port sata
8gb RAM

8 drives in zpool raidz2
1 drive trying to add as just a standard disk.

Thank You

Ray.

ProtoSD

MVP
It sounds like a bug. You can try browsing the tickets and open one if you don't find one. I don't recall seeing one for this. Here's a link:

https://support.freenas.org

You'll need to create an account if you want to add a ticket. Do it soon, I think a new release is planned by the end of the week and it would be nice to try and get this fixed before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.