New Restore Unable to Import Disks

peterocc

Cadet
Hello all. Recently was forced to rebuild my FreeNAS due to hardware failure (CPU & Single Disk failure). Prior to the failure I upgraded to the latest 11.3 stable release and was able to obtain a pair of backups prior to shutting down the old hardware and ordering replacement CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

Old Hardware
  • Asus PBH61-1 R2.0
  • Intel i3-2500
  • 8GB DDR3
  • Boot - Kingston DataTraveller 8GB USB
  • Zpool - Seagate IRONWOLF 3TB (6) [1 degraded/offline disk]
New Hardware
  • ASROCK H370M-ITX/ac
  • Intel i3-8100
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • Boot - Sandisk Cruzer 16GB (2x Boot pool)
  • Zpool - Seagate IRONWOLF 3TB (6)
I just rebuilt and installed the latest 11.3 stable release on my gear and restored my backup config. I am able to access the GUI & Shell and see the disks, but the install and subsequent restore did not auto import my zpool. I am not a FreeNAS expert and while I have fumbled my way through tutorials and FreeNAS since v9 I would consider myself a noob.

ZPool list shows the following... where are my drives?

1585745959378.png

Zpool Status shows the following

1585745971671.png

Zpool import shows the original Volume is there and potentially can be imported. Degraded because the original failed drive hasnt been resilvered yet.

1585745983410.png

Next steps...

How do I import the disks so that FreeNAS recognizes them? When I go through the GUI it shows the Pool as unknown, but status is gone completely.

1585746237256.png

1585746242306.png

What have I done wrong and how do I correct and restore my data (if possible)?

Appreciate any help you all can provide as I have movies, music, pictures and other data I'd prefer not to lose.

Thanks for coming to my Tedtalk.

-P

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Do a zpool import -F YakVol (-F since it wasn't exported properly from the old system and you're missing 2 disks)

To get it back in the GUI, zpool export YakVol then import from the GUI.

Ideally, do something about the missing disks before all that (check cabling?).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do a zpool import -F YakVol (-F since it wasn't exported properly from the old system and you're missing 2 disks)
No, this should use -f (lower-case). The -F flag is intended to repair damage.

peterocc

Cadet

To get it back in the GUI, zpool export YakVol then import from the GUI.

Ideally, do something about the missing disks before all that (check cabling?).

I'll try that now... thanks. Not sure about missing 2 drives though. When I run a GEOM list disk, it shows the 5 active drives. I haven't connected the 6th as I was waiting until the pool came before resilvering.

peterocc

Cadet
@sretalla @danb35

Do I need to bring the 6th drive online even though its not resilvered to the pool to get the import to work or am I FUBAR on this?

sretalla