Where are jails stored?

Berkyjay

Contributor
I'm running a Plex server on my Freenas rig and I'm planning on a full upgrade of all my disks. So I've set up an external drive to store my data while I do the upgrade. Do the jails live on my storage pools or do they live on the boot pool from my thumb drive?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I just saw that they are kept on the pool. So a follow up question. Is it possible to just copy the jails over to the External pool I have created or should I just make a new jail and copy over the data from my Plex jail?

Berkyjay

Contributor
Best practice is to keep Plex metadata outside the jail. Consider using @danb35's Scripted Plex Installation, which also auto-updates Plex within the jail.

Thanks! I think I'll do that once I have the new drives in. But for now I have two concerns; 1) Saving my Plex data(metadata, watch history, settings) & 2) maintaining my library during this transition. I was thinking of attempting to migrate my current jail to a second 3 disk pool I have. This would allow me to keep my server running while freeing up 4 disk slots to put in my new disks and start a new pool with them. Once that's done I can migrate my files back to the new pool start a fresh Plex jail and finally allow me to free up the rest of my disk slots and put new drives in. At least that sounds like a solid plan in my head. :)

Last edited: