what is path to transmission jail in transmission shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cudencuden

Dabbler
Launched the shell of my transmisison jail to be able to run transmission-create...

so, if my configured jail root in freeNas transmission plugin is "/mnt/files/jails"

how do you get to this path from jail's shell?

i'm basically getting invalid path when trying to use transmission-create

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not sure what transmission create is but you probably need to give it a file and I'm assuming you want a file from your zfs pool. Where did you mount your data in the transmission jail? This can be found under the transmission jail and add storage section. Whatever the dest path is, is the path in the jail where your data lives.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You don't access the jails dataset directly from the jail. You attach storage to it (another dataset on the pool)

cudencuden

Dabbler
everything works fine..i download using webgui fine to jail.storage...jail source is /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1/mnt ..but in transmission's jail shell...how do i get to my files in the jail??? if i do "ls /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1/mnt" i get "no such file or directory"

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Please show a screenshot of your jail storage configuration for this jail.

You should not be mounting the jails dataset as jail storage. That's redundant.

You should have a 'downloads' dataset somewhere. add storage to the jail and have it be the source, and the destination will be relative to the jail root ('/'). I would pick /media/downloads as my destination.

Then in the jail, everything is downloaded to /media/downloads, and it is actually being downloaded to /mnt/files/downloads (the path on FreeNAS, not the jail)

cudencuden

Dabbler
ohh no..i changed the destination from /media to /Downloads....and now all my jail storage files can't be found..it's still there but idk where they went...they are no longer in Downloads folder nor media folder from screenshot

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 393

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
ohh no..i changed the destination from /media to /Downloads....and now all my jail storage files can't be found..it's still there but idk where they went...they are no longer in Downloads folder nor media folder from screenshot
you're trying to mount the jail itself as storage to itself. This doesn't work.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_jails.html#add-storage

• Source: is the directory or dataset on the FreeNAS® system you would like to gain access to from the jail. This directory must reside outside of the volume or dataset being used by the jail. This is why it is recommended to create a separate dataset to store jails, so that the dataset holding the jails will always be separate from any datasets used for storage on the FreeNAS® system.
  • Destination: select an existing, empty directory within the jail to link to the “Source” storage area. If that directory does not exist yet, type in the desired directory name and check the “Create directory” box.

cudencuden

Dabbler
understood..but now..i just want to know where the files i had in my jail storage went....the 1.9 TB used..idk where the files are now...i tried searching for one of the files at the top level...nothing found

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    65 KB · Views: 393

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
from FreeNAS CLI, it is in /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1/mnt, based on your original information. Since you didn't show me your ORIGINAL configuration I couldn't say for sure. First thing you need to learn is what you are doing. You went and changed some files around and had no idea what it was doing.

cudencuden

Dabbler
yes. so sorry..so dumb of me... the original config is that Source = /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1/mnt , Destination = /Downloads ....I changed Destinations = /media ....what can i do to get the files out of jail...i just want the files now lol..

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
then FROM THE FREENAS CLI (not the jail), files would be located in /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1/mnt

you would be better off creating a new dataset in FreeNAS, then using the command line to copy all the files from the original location to the new dataset, then mount the new dataset as your storage in your jail.

cudencuden

Dabbler
hmmm....from freenass cli: i went to /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1/mnt and did "ls" nothing showed up...even cd .. and went back into the folders, media, Downloads (where they files were)...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 378

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
From FreeNAS cli,
Code:
cd /mnt/files/jails/transmission_1

Do you know the name of a file that is located in your downloads?

Code:
find . -name "*<nameoffile>*" -exec echo {} \;

It will print out the path of that file

Also, STOP USING THE CRAPTACULAR WEB SHELL.

Use SSH (PuTTy if on Windows, terminal if on Mac, any terminal emulator/shell on Linux)

cudencuden

Dabbler
yes, i tried searching for God of War (USA).7z not nothing was in result

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 366

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can try it from '/' instead of inside the jail path, but it my take a while depending on how many files you have on your server.

cudencuden

Dabbler
yes, thansk for the puTTY reminder..much better...i searched from '/' ...but nothing relevant showed up...am i screwed? i'm holding on to hope because storage says 1.9TB used....is it just hidding or something idk lol

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

cudencuden

Dabbler
i restarted transmission service and files reappeared...so happy hahahahahahah...thanks pirateghost....thanks sweetandlow

Status
Not open for further replies.