Transmission Download Directory Permissions Broken

KnightOfNih

Cadet
Hi all
self confessed linux novice here.... give me a mouse any day!

i setup my transmission with the following youtube clip, which was roughly the steps below
create group first , id is 921
create user id also 921
create transmission dataset (dont need to share it, permissions to admin and ower is transmission)
install transmission plugin

stop the plugin
add mount point of transmission for new
and source is /mnt/raid5/iocage/jails/transmission/root/media

smb share the /mnt/raid5/iocage/jails/transmission/root/media folder and give it it alias of torrents

- note, transmission website to be dhcp reserved on mac
- change settings in transmission site like speeds, and locations of part files etc
- Stop the Transmission Jail
Go to shell --> edit /mnt/(v1 - insert yours)/iocage/jails/transmission/root/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

run in shell
sudo chown -R transmission:Craig /mnt/raid5/iocage/jails/transmission/root/media
sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/raid5/iocage/jails/transmission/root/media

Unfortunately, since i got it all working, i have buggered the permissions on my download directory which is /mnt/raid5/iocage/jails/transmission/root/media

I tired to fix it with the gui but permissions is not available on this folder/dataset (maybe cause its a jail?)
i tried the chown and chmod commands mentioned above but (as root) but get the error "Sorry, user root is not allowed to execute '/bin/chmod -R 777 /mnt/RAID5/iocage/jails/transmission/root/media' as root on freenas.local."

is there a way i can fix the permissions on the folder so that i can download torrents again? please type the whole command as im fairly useless with linux and comprehending the commands.

thanks so much in advance guys

diedrichg

Wizard
I can't stand transmission for its lack of features and I was also having permissions issues. I switched to qbittorrent and haven't had any problems. This guide worked perfectly in a 11.3 jail