Weird ip conflict

Scorch95

Dabbler
If you can access the IPMI interface, use the Remote Control tab there and you can control the server remotely without needing a directly connected monitor (as your video card/VGA reference). You can reboot and check/change BIOS settings through that interface.
I can access it however it is asking for a license key inside the remote control tab. The rest is accessible. Unfortunatel I do not have this nor am I sure I am able to purchase. I will see if Gigabyte themselves is able to provide it and how much it may cost.

Some ipmi boards can share a single port and this is basically invisible to the os.

The odd thing is this board has 5 Ethernet ports but one is only 100Mb vs the others gigabit. I also believe it is designated as the IPMI port. I will dig back in the manual to verify when I get a break at work.

kdragon75

Wizard
The odd thing is this board has 5 Ethernet ports but one is only 100Mb vs the others gigabit. I also believe it is designated as the IPMI port. I will dig back in the manual to verify when I get a break at work.
It's more that they CAN and not that they need to.

Scorch95

Dabbler
Well I may have found a workaround for the kvm. My system is finishing its last smart long test for initial burnin tonight. I’ll give it a try tomorrow after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorch95

Dabbler
Well I was able to get the remote management function working and I decided to reset all of the ipmi stuff in bios and and leave it on dhcp. I did set the ip to 1.3 and the gateway to 1.1 but then clicked static back to dhcp. So far so good however I have not hooked the ipmi cable back up and I can no longer access ipmi over the OS ethernet cable as before which makes me believe I might have fixed whatever it was. I'm debating adding the other cable back in and it starting the problem back up.

ElSteve

Cadet
I had this EXACT issue & it drove me insane for the better part of the week...
Connect an ethernet cable to the IPMI port & login...

Go to the configuration tab & select Network

upload_2018-9-25_11-58-15.png

Click the drop-down for LAN Channel Number - select 8

This is what mine looks like NOW:
upload_2018-9-25_11-59-28.png

the IP Address used to be set to 192.168.1.1 - voila - the conflict you've been hunting for. I have not found this in any documentation for this motherboard anywhere. Really weird thing is it still sends out packets..usually to 239.255.255.250..whatever, it's blocked in my firewall.

Hope this helps!

On the off chance that anyone cares, 239.255.255.250 is the multicast address for Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP). https://wiki.wireshark.org/SSDP

pschatz100

Guru
It is extremely unlikely that your motherboard requires separate internet cables, but you do need a unique IP address for each device on your network - including your IPMI interface.

Remember that with most routers, you specify a range of IP addresses for DHCP, and a reserved IP address has to be configured within the allowed DHCP range. A static IP address that is configured on a device has to be set to a value that is outside the DHCP range set on your router. I hope this makes sense.

So let's go through some basics:
1) What model router do you have - what is the allowed range of DHCP addresses
2) What devices have you configured for static addresses - what are the addresses
3) What devices have you configured with reserved addresses - what are the addresses

kdragon75

Wizard
internet cables
Do you mean cables required for internet or cables for ethernet/TCP/IP connectivity to multiple hosts? The IPMI should be considered a separate host from the main system even though some allow sharing the physical ports.
and a reserved IP address has to be configured within the allowed DHCP range.
This is untrue. This requirement depends on the DHCP service in use. For example the DHCP service in pfSense REQUIRES reserved IPs be OUTSIDE the DHCP scope.

pschatz100

Guru
This is untrue. This requirement depends on the DHCP service in use. For example the DHCP service in pfSense REQUIRES reserved IPs be OUTSIDE the DHCP scope.
I can't speak for pfSense as I don't use it, and I suspect the OP doesn't use it either. For all consumer routers that I have used:
Address reservations must lie within the DHCP range of addresses managed by the router. A static IP address would be configured on the device. Nothing is configured on the router. Static addresses must be outside of the DHCP range.

96dpi

Cadet
I had this EXACT issue & it drove me insane for the better part of the week...
Connect an ethernet cable to the IPMI port & login...

Go to the configuration tab & select Network

View attachment 25840

Click the drop-down for LAN Channel Number - select 8

This is what mine looks like NOW:
View attachment 25841

the IP Address used to be set to 192.168.1.1 - voila - the conflict you've been hunting for. I have not found this in any documentation for this motherboard anywhere. Really weird thing is it still sends out packets..usually to 239.255.255.250..whatever, it's blocked in my firewall.

Hope this helps!

You just rocked my world! This was the fix to my exact problem, thank you!