Cannot reach FreeNAS over TCP after attempt to set up bonding

benton

Cadet
Hello, all.

I attempted to set up interface bonding on my new FreeNAS Mini from iX Systems, and now I cannot reach the unit on the local network. In the management interface for my router, I no longer see a DHCP lease for either FreeNAS service interface (before there were two leases, naturally). Unfortunately, the attempt to set up bonding was the only action performed on this unit out of the box - even the root password has not yet been changed - so there are no services running beyond the defaults. :-(

Any ideas on how to recover or reset the unit? I don't have a VGA cable at hand, though I could probably get one.

The third network interface (the IPMI port?) *does* request an IP, and serves up some kind of web page I can't seem to log into. Is it possible to use this interface to recover?

The unit is a baseline FreeNAS Mini (as per https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQJ1BTU/ ) with 2 network interfaces for "service" and one IPMI network port.

Thanks in advance,
- benton

Kcaj

Contributor
You will likely be able to use the remote console from the IPMI web interface to change the configuration, though it will be through the command line and someone smarter than me will have to help you with that!

Edit: Also I suggest you have a read of this and this, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

benton

Cadet
Thank you, Kcaj!
...especially for the documentation links, since I now see what I did wrong (my switch will not support LACP in any mode that will increase throughput). :confused:

Now I just need to disable it again somehow.
I notice that the FreeNAS docs on IMPI don't mention what the default credentials are, so I can't seem to log in. Otherwise I'd be poking around there and looking for how to get a root shell. Once I get there, I'll attempt to undo the link aggregation with /etc/netcli.

- benton

Kcaj

Contributor
No problem Benton, I think I read somewhere that the mini uses a Supermicro board, so try ADMIN : ADMIN as username : password for IPMI....

benton

Cadet
Thanks again!

Now I can log into the management interface (through both SSH, which opens a Linux BusyBox root shell, and web UI), but nothing I do there seems to affect the FreeNAS configuration on the BSD side. :(

The "factory reset" seems to reset the management interface itself, since I've selected it twice now, and while it did cause the device to reboot, the FreeNAS network interfaces are still not requesting IP addresses. There are many menus and controls in the web UI, but they all seem to affect the management interface, not FreeNAS itself.

Looks like I'm going to have to procure a VGA cable and see if I can control FreeNAS with a USB keyboard. I've got one attached to the rear port, as indicated by the setup manual -- but the CAPS-lock and NUM-lock etc. don't light up, so that's not encouraging....

Kcaj

Contributor
In the IPMI web interface you need to find something like "remote control" or "remote console", and make FreeNAS changes there. Dont play around with SSHing into the IPMI interface, you could cause some major problems!

benton

Cadet
Yeah.. I was thinking through the implications of using a Linux system to live-mount the filesystem of a running BSD system. I decided "that way lies madness", and disconnected immediately.

The "remote console" is a Java-based KVM emulator. I can get it to launch once I convince my Mac it's "safe", and about half the time, it looks like it's connected - the FreeNAS service IP is displayed in the title bar and some of the controls are enabled - but I never get any feedback on the screen.
Java-based-kvm-app.png

Irritatingly, I just got a reply from the official support channel, asking me to use the Web UI, the thing I said in my first sentence that I am unable to do. :mad:

Hello Benton,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for the provided information.
Please provide us with your systems debug.
Follow this procedure:
1. Login via the web GUI.
2. Go to "System" --> "Advanced".
3. Click "Save Debug".
4. Take the saved file [via your browser] and attach it to the ticket.
The saved file will contain detailed logging from your TrueNAS as well as other helpful information that will allow us to troubleshoot your issue and resolve it quickly.

Once we have received the request information, we will then contact you shortly with follow-up information regarding your ticket status.

Have a great day.

Thank you,
(name elided)
Storage and Software Support (title abbreviated)
Customer Service Support Team

benton

Cadet
Update:
• Bought a VGA cable
• Boot screen showed (not surprisingly) that interface lagg0 was down
• used USB keyboard and the menu-based app (which was already running on the TTY) to reset the device configuration to defaults
• waited for a few minutes, then watched it reboot

Fixed!
Thanks again for the insights, Kcaj.

Kcaj

Contributor
Glad you fixed it! Maybe mark as solved?

You should definitely get to know how to use your IPMI, its saved me so many times!

Have fun with your new toy!