Supermicro IPMI clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
I'm redoing my home network as I needed to move a couple things around, and in the process I must have damaged one of my ethernet cables. Anyway, I'm one cable short so I decided to leave off the ethernet cable for IPMI until I can get a new cable (so I now only have ONE ethernet cable going to my server). But I noticed something funny, if I go to 192.168.1.12 (IPMI port) in my browser then I get the IPMI interface for my server, and if I go to 192.168.20.15 (server port) in my browser then I get the FreeNAS GUI.

So I'm a little confused here. I only have a single ethernet cable connected to my server (and it's connected to one of the LAN ports, not the IPMI port) yet my server seems to have two IPs and I'm able to access both of them. How is this possible?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm redoing my home network as I needed to move a couple things around, and in the process I must have damaged one of my ethernet cables. Anyway, I'm one cable short so I decided to leave off the ethernet cable for IPMI until I can get a new cable (so I now only have ONE ethernet cable going to my server). But I noticed something funny, if I go to 192.168.1.12 (IPMI port) in my browser then I get the IPMI interface for my server, and if I go to 192.168.20.15 (server port) in my browser then I get the FreeNAS GUI.

So I'm a little confused here. I only have a single ethernet cable connected to my server (and it's connected to one of the LAN ports, not the IPMI port) yet my server seems to have two IPs and I'm able to access both of them. How is this possible?
Normal. In the ipmi settings you can specify a port to use or you can let it be dynamic and use any port.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

djdwosk97

Patron
Normal. In the ipmi settings you can specify a port to use or you can let it be dynamic and use any port.

So is there a downside to using a single port for IPMI and for the main server connection to the router? Obviously I'd lose some bandwidth -- especially if I was using the remote IPMI GUI, but I don't imagine that being much of an issue.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So is there a downside to using a single port for IPMI and for the main server connection to the router? Obviously I'd lose some bandwidth -- especially if I was using the remote IPMI GUI, but I don't imagine that being much of an issue.
You will never notice any bandwidth limitations.

It's fine to do, if you wanted a segment management network or some redundency you would want a separate nic for ipmi but for home use it doesn't matter.

djdwosk97

Patron

It's fine to do, if you wanted a segment management network or some redundency you would want a separate nic for ipmi but for home use it doesn't matter.

Alright, good to know, that's one less wire I need to make/run then. Cool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Even then, you could have them on separate VLANs.

Status
Not open for further replies.