WebGUI failing after restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetallest

Dabbler
If I did not post in the correct place please do not flame me just help me.

I have searched high and low for this issue. I cannot find anyone else who seems to having this issue. First my system
PowerEdge 2950 iii
32 gb ram
3 146 gb disk stripped ( yes I know I have no redundancy )
ESX 4.1 loaded onto the poweredge
FreeNAS 9.1.1 running in ESX

Here is the issue every time I need to restart the machine ( yes I Know I should not have to restart it but hey it happens ) I watch it boot up with no issues. I can access my drives on my windows machine with no issues. What fails to start up is the WebGUI. I Have to delete the interface via the command menu and then re-add the interface in order for me to access teh WebGUI again.

Is anyone else having this issue?

thetallest

Dabbler
Wow seriously it has been up for 3 days and over 385 views not one person knows what is going on and/or has this issue. Well I feel kind of Unique with my issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You said not to flame you, so I didn't respond... ;)

To be honest, it's just like we've said to many people. As soon as you virtualize FreeNAS you are kind of on your own to deal with any problems. Any problem with your hardware configuration or VMWare ESXi software configuration or its ability(or inability) to virtualize properly or your inability to properly configure the VM can be a cause. As such, I just close the window unless I have a smoking gun. I can't help you troublehsoot to what category of problem you have nor can I identify the exact cause.

So all I can say is "good luck".

thetallest

Dabbler
You said not to flame you, so I didn't respond... ;)

To be honest, it's just like we've said to many people. As soon as you virtualize FreeNAS you are kind of on your own to deal with any problems. Any problem with your hardware configuration or VMWare ESXi software configuration or its ability(or inability) to virtualize properly or your inability to properly configure the VM can be a cause. As such, I just close the window unless I have a smoking gun. I can't help you troublehsoot to what category of problem you have nor can I identify the exact cause.

So all I can say is "good luck".

Thank you so much for not flaming me. I had not seen any warnings about what happens when you virtualize FreeNas. I will admit in the same breath that I did not think to search any topics in that regards since I am not having any functional issues with the system aside from the one I am having. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I will endeavor to figure out what is causing my issue so that if someone else runs into this issue there will be some info that be can be pointed at. I am going to attempt a re-install the system and see if that clears my issue. Yes a bit of a extreme to go but I think I might have an idea of what I did to make this go off the tracks, though if it was the cause it would be odd that it would cause this sort of issue. I will report back when I am done.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

thetallest

Dabbler
Thanks to Cyberjock for the kind help. My FreeNas is up and running now with no issues. I have rebooted several times and nothing has failed. We ca close this thread.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So what was your problem ultimately? I assume your WebGUI is working fine now?

thetallest

Dabbler
Yes My WebGUI is working just fine with no issue. After I re-installed a second time.

This is going to sound weird and it should not have been the issue but here it is: With ESX you are allowed while the VM is powered off to Alter the Disk in size. It seems that FreeNas does not like this option. I did not alter the size of the main disk that has FreeNAS running on it but one of the two data disks I had running up under FreeNAS when I alter the size of the disk and then spin back up the FreeNAS the webgui fails to load. I Know this should not happen but it seems to. Later this week when I am back at work I am going to test this again with the ESX Machine that is under my complete control ( insert EVIL LAUGH HERE ) and see I can reproduce this affect. Now given that I just said I am going to try to reproduce the TECH GODS are going to make sure that I Look like an Idiot and not allow me to reproduce this just so they can laugh and laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.