8.0.1 Beta2 Box locking up when Physical Memory is Low

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HwyXingFrog

I took a look around and couldn't see anyone else having this issue.

Originally when I started using my FreeNAS box I was storing VirtualBox images on the NAS and mounting them remotely, this would use up my 2GB (I know it's low, I'm building a new box with 8GB, I may try to put in 4GB in the meantime).

The FreeNAS box would completely quit responding over the network. The only thing I could do is do the Reboot option (option 10 on the box itself). Even if I try to access the Shell (option 9) it would completely stop responding and have to do a hard power cycle.

I don't have any data since I had to do a hard power cycle, even my WebGui Reporting Stats are lost due to the hard power cycle I had to do last time because I tried to access the Shell.

Is this issue anyone is aware of or seeing?

Thanks.

H

HwyXingFrog

It just happened again, only took 6 hours this time (had over 2 days of uptime last time before this happened). It seems to be when all the plots on the Physical Memory Utilization converge around 512MB (total memory is 2GB).

I just upgraded the ram from 2GB to 4GB when I did the reboot this time.

Until I figure out what's going on, I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, and reboot the server if it is getting close to 512MB

H

HwyXingFrog

I have upgraded to 4GB of ram almost a week ago, and had this happen once after 3 days of uptime. I'm almost at 3 days of uptime again and it looks like it could stop responding soon since it is hovering around the 1GB mark (where it stopped responding 3 days ago).

I would like to upgrade to BETA4, but I don't know if it will help.

Thanks.

Tekkie

Patron
It looks like I am in the same place as you and unfortunately even limiting the amount of memory available to the kernel and ZFS cache the system will still lock itself up, and I am on BETA 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.