Volumes copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormiodo

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

this is my first post and, please, excuse me if I ask some stupid thing. (sorry for my english, I am italian).

I have installed my first FreeNAS and I must say that I am very happy: no problem, everything is ok.
The NAS have 3 Hd with 3Tb (a total volume of 9Tb)

What I need is: to secure the informations on the NAS I need to make one backup of the HDs.

My question is: I can make a copy of the disks, using some software like Ghost or similar with windows? I know that windows can't read the disks, but for me is ok anyway, I make the mirror copy with a bistro like Linux.

And, in case of a disaster on the FreeNAS, can I change the disk on it with the copy that I have made?
I don't know if I ask some stupid question!!

Thanks you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have 9TB of data? Or the total size of volume is 9TB? If you have (up to) 9TB of free space in a different machine or even in a different pool on the same machine. You can Rsync the data to it for an exact backup. I have done this, then "offline or export" the second (backup) pool and disconnect the drives (power down first). Then you will have a fail-safe backup of your data. If anything goes wonky with the online 9TB, offline it and import your backup pool. This has worked for me in the past.

Read HERE, i think this is what you are after.
And HERE is how to do it locally from command line.

Last edited:

cormiodo

Dabbler
Hi John,

many many thanks for your precious help!!
Your solution, probably, is the best to make a complete backup copy, but... I can't put on line other 3 HD to perform the backup. This is why I want try to mirror one HD, then the second and then the last. What's I don't know is, after the mirroring all the disk, can I put all on the new Freenas (my friend Freenas) obtaining the exact copy of the mine?

I hope that you understand what I want say, my english is very "strange"!! :smile:

One other thanks!!

Trying to simplify this for you. So you have 3 drives that are separate? Not configured in any sort of RAID?

Now after re reading your post, I suspect Clonezilla might be what you are after. Its free but somewhat trickier to use than a Ghost or Acronis. I have used it on occasion with excellent results. The great news is all you have to do is make a Bootable CD/USB and run it. I suggest you do a little reading on it HERE. I suspect with some minor Googling you can find somewhere where somebody has used it as you wish to use it. I sure hope this helps you, and good luck.

Stux

MVP
It sound like you've built a striped comfiguration. Is that what you really want?

Status
Not open for further replies.