How to copy "from" a NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGore

Cadet
Good morning!

I managed to get my first FreeNAS machine up and running this morning & have the drives, shares, and user access all configured! Loving it thus far - just need to start understanding how everything fits together & where to find things.

Stupid question I am sure: Is is possible to "pull" files onto my FreeNAS machine? Further explanation:

I am logged into (and working on) the Web UI of my FreeNAS 9 machine, and want to browse my home network, locate another machine on the network, and pull some files to the NAS. Can this be done? The reason I want to do this is because the other machine I am referring to is a headless machine with no GUI (Ubuntu Server). I guess this would require something similar to windows explorer, but a FreeNAS version?

An easy workaround would be to use a windows machine to copy between the Ubuntu server and the NAS, but I would prefer the two machines communicating directly without "third party" intervention if possible.

Thanks for your assistance!

Kind Regards,
Jim.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Nothing in the web GUI for that. You can use SSH/terminal to run rsync commands to pull from your other server.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Why not Mount your freenas shares on your Ubuntu machine using NFS? Then just ssh into your Ubuntu box and copy away. Let me know of you need a NFS fstab sample entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.