Backup/Snapshot

dänu

Cadet
Hello all

this is maybe a stupid Question, but I didnt found an answer to it, I tried to google, search in this Forum. But its maybe a question of my not that good english-skills.

My Question is: Is it possible with freenas to make an backup of one or more windows-machines and the nas does it itself, without any backup-software on the windows-machines? Im not sure if a snapshot is doing exactly that or if snapshots are only available on the nas itself.

Please can anyone help me before I try to install freenas on my wd my cloud ex2? Thanks alot already now!

Regards
Daniel

hervon

Patron
I guess you need to search Google and forums (much) better. wd my cloud ex2 is not suitable for freenas. Check the hardware requirements in the forums.

dänu

Cadet
Ok thank you, first I wanted to find out, if its generally possible to make an nas do an update from a win-machine. I think its not possible, no matter what nas or os on the nas you have, thats why I didnt checked, if its possible to install freenas on a my cloud ex2.

Glorious1

Guru

dänu

Cadet
I dont really know why the boss exactly wants a NAS doing those backups, I told him now to use the software from WD, it works actually very good.