Volume Size discrepency

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRoadKing

Cadet
Hi All,

New to FreeNAS but I really like the program and found it perfect for me to use as a device to backup my media server with a bunch of old drives I have lying around.

Here's my question:

I have FreeNAS installed on a USB flashdrive and have created 1 large volume from all my drives which equals 5.9TB (See screenshot #1).

I have mapped the share and can access it fine, but there seems to be a discrepancy in the size. It's only showing 5.35TB of space available. Why the difference?!?

Before I used the exact drives in a JBOD array in windows and the free space was 5.45TB, so I'm wondering where the other 100GB of space went to and how to reclaim it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike

Attachments

• screenshot#2.JPG
    screenshot#2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 252
  • screenshot#1.JPG
    screenshot#1.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 238

ProtoSD

MVP
It's just the way windows calculates free space (don't know specifics), but also, even on FreeNAS depending on which method you use to check space the number will be different, for example 'df -h' and 'zfs list' (from the command line). I saw an explanation *somewhere* awhile ago that made sense, but it's all the same, just different ways calculating it.

Dizzy49

Dabbler
I have a similar issue...

Under Storage, it says:
Size: 11.6 TB
Available: 10.7 TB

Why is 900GB being used? The drive is blank, I JUST created the volume, and it already has nearly 10% used? That's a large chunk of space to disappear like that.

Tekkie

Patron
Depends on whetere 1GB = 1024MB or 1000MB different accounting methods.

Dizzy49

Dabbler
Depends on whetere 1GB = 1024MB or 1000MB different accounting methods.

I'm familiar with that, and if FreeNas reported 11.6TB, and Windows reported 10.7TB, then that would be the case, but it isn't.

As soon as I created the volume, it immediately had 8% used. That's not an accounting issue, and it's way more than any drive/os overhead. 900GB is a HUGE chunk of space to go missing, and I want to know what happened.

I moved to FreeNas from a Windows platform, and I'm rebuilding my RAID array and adding 2TB more, but in the process of moving I lost 900GB, so that's a huge loss for me as half the the space I thought I was adding has disappeared.

Tekkie

Patron
That is odd to say the least, please keep us update as I am also currently trying to 'recover' lost space but on a TB level... :(

tordek

Cadet
Sure you dont have recycle bin enabled on your SMB share? If yes then everything you delete drops in to a hidden folder on your share.

Status
Not open for further replies.