VoIP Asterisk behind a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyAway

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm quite a newbie with FreeNAS but managed to set it up and it runs very nicely.

Now I thought having such a nice server I maybe could use it for my VoIP account and register my home country VoIP with the server. As VoIP is blocked here I would need a VPN (best OpenVPN but IPSec would be fine as well) that tunnels the VoIP. I have read about Asterisk running on FreeNAS, but would it be possible to tunnel the Asteriks through a VPN?

Does anybody have any experience with that or can tell me if it would be possible at all?

Thanks in advance.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hi there,

I'm quite a newbie with FreeNAS but managed to set it up and it runs very nicely.

Now I thought having such a nice server I maybe could use it for my VoIP account and register my home country VoIP with the server. As VoIP is blocked here I would need a VPN (best OpenVPN but IPSec would be fine as well) that tunnels the VoIP. I have read about Asterisk running on FreeNAS, but would it be possible to tunnel the Asteriks through a VPN?

Does anybody have any experience with that or can tell me if it would be possible at all?

Thanks in advance.
That seems more like an Asterisk question. You will find some guides here on setting up OpenVPN in a jail, in general. But, getting Asterisk to work on it will be something you have to figure out yourself, or on other forums.

FlyAway

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I know thatere is a how-to here in the forum for the Asterisk installation as well as an how-to for the OpenVPN. But does anyone has experience how to 'connect' these two jails and how to route the VoIP Asterisk traffic over the VPN?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks for the advice. I know thatere is a how-to here in the forum for the Asterisk installation as well as an how-to for the OpenVPN. But does anyone has experience how to 'connect' these two jails and how to route the VoIP Asterisk traffic over the VPN?
Nothing at all is stopping you from having both the PBX and the OpenVPN in the same jail, sir.

FlyAway

Cadet
OK, sorry, didn't know that. As said I'm a newbie :smile:
Will try it over the weekend. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.