need freenas remote set up for dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

glendav

Cadet
OK, I built a PC and installed 9.5 all is good, I have set up users and played around with file sharing using ftp from the videos posted on this site. Everything works great. My question is, and I have looked, Can someone direct me to a simple instructional video or other explaining how to set up remote access. I set up the server in the hopes that it could contain working files that could be accessed by my PC when I'm home in the office and my laptop when I'm away on the road. Using a cloud or something like dropbox is not advisable in my situation. I have a cisco VPN router and DynDNS pro account which we had set up for a VoiP phone. I have to admit I am very green at this but a fast learner.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you have VPN access to your network, you are done. There is nothing else to configure on your NAS

glendav

Cadet
If you have VPN access to your network, you are done. There is nothing else to configure on your NAS
but Ill have to configure the router? like I said it was configured for a voip phone which is no longer in use. If I want to access my NAS internally I use the IP it provides how do I connect remotely I cant use the IP designated by the router. Like I said, Green really green.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Configure the VPN setup on your router. That part is outside the scope of this forum. Once you have VPN access into the network, you access the NAS by that same internal IP you use while on the same network

Status
Not open for further replies.