FreeNAS set up and running what to do next...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrramsey

Dabbler
OK So my NAS is set up and running fine. It's been kind of an experiment. This is a very basic setup as a NAS goes - just a 2TB mirror.

So we have a couple of laptops and 3 desktop pc's as well as 3 smartphones. What I would like to accomplish is a backup plan for these devices to the NAS. I do use acronis to backup my pc and it is simple enough to store a copy on the nas. I do however like to have access to data from any PC on the network as well as some remote access. I have played with nextcloud as well as some other methods like a one way sync app from my android phone to sync pics to a NAS directory.

I guess what I am after is there anyone else doing something similar. Kind of looking for a consistent method across all devices.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not exactly clear what you're asking, but your end goal can be accomplished in many different ways. You're kind of asking "how to use my nas?"? What you've described is pretty much what everyone uses their nas for.

Owncloud/next cloud is actually a pretty consistent way to sync things across all devices, but I prefer syncthing.

Backups are handled however you like.

Remember the nas is really just a centralized storage location. Nothing more.

melloa

Wizard
For my Windows and Linux boxes, I use CIFs;
To access files outside, share with friends, auto upload pics and videos I take with phones/tablets -> owncloud;
I did use urbackup for windows back-up some time ago. It works well.
Plex, Guacamole, etc, etc.
Your need/imagination is the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.