What can I do with Freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayearth2000

Dabbler
I have a Question, like Freenas like a server sys and NAS, other then that what can I do will it.
I am using it for Plex server, and NAS, could I add it to be the printer server and more?

Thank You

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Yes.

You are low on RAM to go too far with it as you are, but with the FreeNAS system and enough RAM and disk capacity, you can virtualize other operating systems or run docker containers, run any kind of software you're prepared to investigate and install (like security camera recording, home automation, private cloud sharing... there are literally thousands of options)... yes, and print serving too.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As @sretalla stated, you can do just about anything with FreeNAS but you need to have the hardware resources to support your choices such as more RAM if you plan to do a lot with it. 10GB RAM should handle Plex and a print server. Consider doing a Google search for "FreeNAS print server" and you will find a few results and I saw one with good info on installing a print server in a jail, with step by step instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.