Critical error! What to do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

JFD

Dabbler
@danb35 thanks for the help. It just finished the resilvering. One last question, can I now use the wipe function to format the ada0 disk before sending it back to the vendor?

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you're concerned about the vendor reading data off the disk (which seems very unlikely), I'd do something a bit more destructive. A single write pass of badblocks would do the job.

JFD

Dabbler
If you're concerned about the vendor reading data off the disk (which seems very unlikely), I'd do something a bit more destructive. A single write pass of badblocks would do the job.
Don't know if I should be concerned or just return this 1 disk. The NAS holds all my personal stuff but could they reproduce files with 1 disk? Maybe a wipe is just enough?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't believe it'd be practical to recover any significant data off of a single disk in a RAIDZ vdev (even if they were to try, which itself seems unlikely), which is why I said I wouldn't bother in the first place. But if I were concerned about that, I wouldn't rely on the Wipe Disk feature--IIRC, all that does is wipe the partition table without touching the data on the disk.

Reactions: JFD

JFD

Dabbler
thank you, thank you all. My FreeNAS is up and running again. I removed the disk with the error and the fresh disk is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.