VPN security / setup

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Hi everyone,

The ransomware blog got me wondering if I recently made a wrong VPN choice. Specifically, I had to get two networks with edgerouters to connect - both featuring a dynamic IP address and a Ubiquity Edgerouter. While Edgerouters support all sorts of VPNs as long as you are willing to put varying degrees of work into setting them up, I settled on IPSEC since Edgerouters feature a basic IPSEC GUI setup window and IPSEC hardware offload support to speed up throughput.

Even so, getting IPSEC to work was really challenging. The initial example with a pre-shared secret is not suitable for use with dynamic DNS. The FQDN setup suggests dynamic DNS compatibility, but it doesn't work either out of the box. The VPN link may show as UP, but no traffic moves from one network to another. Various blogs promise relief, but nothing worked until I found these instructions over in the UI forums detailing how to modify the firewall for IPSEC. Given my level of expertise and no OOB access to both routers at once, it's hence likely not surprising that this process took a few weeks.

So, I'd like to keep this setup, if possible, since it took so long to set up in the first place. Yet, the ransomware blog mentions OpenVPN as the VPN of choice to help avert issues. None of the research I've read online so far suggests that IPSEC is inferior to OpenVPN but I wonder if there is something I may have missed? Also, does the above approach using a IPSEC VPN with FQDNs and a modified firewall pass the laugh test?

I presume it would be a good idea to only expose a limited set of IP addresses on either end of the VPN tunnel (i.e. a /30 subnet) and/or restrict traffic to SSH for ZFS send?

Also, I wonder to what extent even a TrueNAS system can protect against all forms of ransomware if "high-profile targets are compromised and analyzed months in advance before a ransomware attack". But that's a discussion for a different thread.

NugentS

MVP
IPSEC is generally considered harder to setup than say OpenVPN. If its up and working (and secure) then don't worry about it

TrueNAS is just storage and cannot in itself prevent ransomware. It can however help mitigate against ransomware:
1. Snapshots - Ransomware won't touch these unless it can get access to the actual disks by compromising TrueNAS itself
2. Backups
3. Good security practice

Constantin

Vampire Pig
OpenVPN and WireGuard certainly are explained to be superior in many ways - from fewer ports to open to better performance in some instances. Too bad the Edgerouter hardware is optimized for IPSec. It was quite frustrating to see the link as "UP" but no traffic passing even though I had followed all the instructions set forth by UBNT.

You're also getting to my main issue with the ransomware blog - TrueNAS is but a cog in a much larger machine needed to stay resistant against ransomeware and other threats. For example, SMB does not (yet?) incorporate 2FA and like measures - that's delegated to the firewall / VPN. So once a user is authorized yet compromised, the mayhem can begin

To me, pointing out the failings of rival systems re: ransomeware due to built-in system compromises of one kind or the other is also risky. To some extent, the underpinnings of TrueNAS (FreeBSD) make the system different enough to help script kiddies from cutting and pasting themselves to victory. However, even that minor speedbump (via security through obscurity) will vanish as TrueNAS scale (and its linux underpinnings) takes over.

I hope to explore going 2FA on the GUI this coming week. It’s a really neat feature and something i want to enable.

Last edited: