VM bhyve and Ubuntu 18.04

DaPlumber

Patron
Well, and it's only IMO, and opinions vary, and so on...

Oracle Solaris 11.3 is when the priesthood move in to the cathedral and use it to extract rent from the peasants.

SunOS, and then Solaris, and OpenSolaris in the late 2000's, and its contemporary successors in the illumos world: SmartOS, Delphix, OmniOS, and so on -- that's how you build the cathedral, that's what to aspire to.

Well, King Larry is the one enforcing the Golden Rule, but you have to ask: “Is he really much worse than the Little-John-ish My-Little-Pony-Tail’s screw ups? :p

Where you monetize (or even if) your efforts aside, I meant the whole modern Solaris Family.

This is best continued over a beer?

anmnz

Patron
Yes you are right, this is a beer conversation not a FreeNAS forums conversation!

But just let me get in a parting shot! I have no monetizing skin in the game here, and it's not about Larry and ponies. It's about delivering, and building tools that enable you to deliver, and building teams that can build those tools, and building an engineering culture that gets those teams to build those tools right, and ...

That's where I find SunOS -> Solaris -> OpenSolaris -> illumos (and all its children) inspiring, in a way that certain other software engineering lineages are simply not.

DaPlumber

Patron
Yes you are right, this is a beer conversation not a FreeNAS forums conversation!

But just let me get in a parting shot! I have no monetizing skin in the game here, and it's not about Larry and ponies. It's about delivering, and building tools that enable you to deliver, and building teams that can build those tools, and building an engineering culture that gets those teams to build those tools right, and ...

That's where I find SunOS -> Solaris -> OpenSolaris -> illumos (and all its children) inspiring, in a way that certain other software engineering lineages are simply not.

Indeed :D

Wouter

Dabbler
Well that explains why the 18.04 LTS installer kernel keeps hanging. I guess I'll use 16.04 in the meantime, since I'm a STABLE-only kinda person. The Redmine for U5 doesn't list this as of today, are the updated uefi-edk2-bhyve packages going to be in U5?

I tried the 18.04 installer on U5 today, no luck :(

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 382

Rickinfl

Contributor
The fix will be in the Beta end of this month, but Stable is due 07/09/2018. All I can say is stop and wait because they don't care.

Last edited:

João Dalvi

Dabbler
SEPTEMBER ONLY? Guess I'll be moving back to ESXI, Xen, or something else, and keep FreeNAS as storage-only as it always has been...

DaPlumber

Patron
I just don’t understand why this can’t be a separate patch, considering it’s upstream and not affecting anything else. o_O

Rickinfl

Contributor
The fix is in 11.1-Beta1 (Issue has been closed for a while), but that's not the stable release so you have to wait until 11.1-U6 which is July 9th 2018. It's crazy and confusing I know, but what's even more crazy is all the people complaining wanting and needing the patch and FreeNAS doesn't care. They could of put it in 11.1-U4 because it's been fixed for a while. What bothers me is they could just post in here why they are with holding it and people would understand, but instead..... Crickets

PlqnK

Cadet
The fix is in 11.1-Beta1
No it's included in 11.2-BETA1 (see the target version on the bug report) which is scheduled for 25/06/2018. The stable 11.2 release is scheduled on 09/07/2018 which is odd because the 11.1-U6 (which doesn't contain the fix as seen here) is also scheduled for that day, so like I said in my previous post there's chances that 11.2 stable will be delayed.
FreeNAS doesn't care
You really think they don't care? That the product they're building and the feature (VMs) they are heavily pushing don't matter to them?
What bothers me is they could just post in here why they are with holding it
Maybe they need to do some QA on it or maybe they just don't update upstream components in between major versions.

Rickinfl

Contributor
So this fix will be released today, BUT it's in Beta so I'm not sure if it will show up in Stable. Most likely Not. But I'm thinking instead of waiting until the END OF THE YEAR to get the fix in Stable and continues to be pushed. From what the guys over at FreeBSD are saying all the fix consist of is a file and 2 conf file edits. The "uefi-edk2-bhyve" gets upgraded. Then the 2 files edited.

head/sysutils/uefi-edk2-bhyve/Makefile
head/sysutils/uefi-edk2-bhyve/distinfo

I'm thinking we can download the Beta and pull those files out and put them in our Stable build.

Info is here
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=227765

PlqnK

Cadet
So this fix will be released today, BUT it's in Beta so I'm not sure if it will show up in Stable. Most likely Not.
It's in the 11.2-BETA1, it will then show up in the 11.2 stable release.
But I'm thinking instead of waiting until the END OF THE YEAR to get the fix in Stable and continues to be pushed.
It's in TWO months and it hasn't been pushed back, the target version ever since the bug was reported has been 11.2-BETA1 as you can see here.
From what the guys over at FreeBSD are saying all the fix consist of is a file and 2 conf file edits. The "uefi-edk2-bhyve" gets upgraded. Then the 2 files edited.

head/sysutils/uefi-edk2-bhyve/Makefile
head/sysutils/uefi-edk2-bhyve/distinfo
Those two files are for BUILDING the uefi-edk2-bhyve package, you can't just put them in your FreeNAS install partition and expect it to work.
I'm thinking we can download the Beta and pull those files out and put them in our Stable build.
First, as I said previously that's not how it works. Second, it's a very very bad idea to manually modify the FreeNAS base install, there's a great risk of fucking everything up. You have a better chance of running the 11.2-BETA1 which will be out soon than backporting the package and configuration yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

I agree with you that waiting 7 months to push a fix for such a breaking "bug" (missing feature really) is rather astonishing and I don't like the fact that they don't want to backport it or giving a reason for not backporting it but being aggressive on the forums has never been a good solution to move things forward...

João Dalvi

Dabbler
I don`t think people are really being aggressive. This is free software after all, code is open and free to modify, so if we really want this, we can always backport it to current version, test it, and propose a commit to the devs so they put it in the next release.
But what I see here in this thread is people talking about how odd is that devs just don`t kill this problem by (apparently) simply applying a patch already available upstream. And all this talk looks fair to me, justified by the absence of explanation of why this is being delayed, since it is already fixed upstream, and since it is a major feature of FreeNAS.
Anyway, we have no other option but to wait for it, so, let`s just chill, people :p

meku

Dabbler
Upgraded a VM to Ubuntu 18.04.1 and couldn't boot with the new 4.15 kernel, this is UEFI so I'm guessing it is this bug.

Looking at the bug roadmap the fix won't be in STABLE until 11.2 which is currently scheduled for Nov 2018 :(, I suspect that more people will bit struck by this bug once the 18.04.1 upgrade becomes generally available to 16.04 LTS users.

KrisBee

Wizard

diskdiddler

Wizard
I've logged a job for the RancherOS to be updated - I was convinced, surely, SURELY someone else had requested this officially? Regardless, my job hasn't been closed as a dupe and they're working on it for, presumably the latest RancherOS version?

hiro5id

Dabbler
Upgraded a VM to Ubuntu 18.04.1 and couldn't boot with the new 4.15 kernel, this is UEFI so I'm guessing it is this bug.

Looking at the bug roadmap the fix won't be in STABLE until 11.2 which is currently scheduled for Nov 2018 :(, I suspect that more people will bit struck by this bug once the 18.04.1 upgrade becomes generally available to 16.04 LTS users.

Yep same here

Rusty!

Dabbler
I'm on 11.2 RC1 and still cant use 4.15, my Ubuntu 18.04.1 VM is fine with 4.13 though.

Yorick

Wizard
Necro - just got bit by this in 11.2-U1 trying to install 18.04.1. I'll drop to 16.04, good enough until this fix lands.

Rusty!

Dabbler
Strange, I'm having no troubles on 11.2-U1, I updated my Ubuntu VM to 18.10 with 4.18.0-13-generic and all is well.