VM bhyve and Ubuntu 18.04

DaPlumber

Patron

Rickinfl

Contributor
I do believe they are more concerned about the GUI. Get a solid working foundation before making it look pretty. A lot of people are not happy with Freenas because of this. People on other forums are also complaining they will not fix the Bhyve issue and dragging it out while it's been fix for a while now just not released. From what the road map says sometime next month it will be released in the Beta, but still starting to worry about that because that's not a stable release so there is NO telling when we will get the patch it maybe a couple of months out.

Been working with FreeBSD to see if they can make something for us to use to patch since FreeNAS is ignoring it's users. Starting to wonder if a bunch of teenagers took over because seems all their focus is on the new GUI anymore. At least there are some GreyBeards over at FreeBSD that know to screw the looks and make a stable release and care about the users.

I have 5 FreeNAS boxes in production each with over 96TB. I really need this Patch to install Ubuntu 18.04 to replace my aging VM's (NO I'm not going to hack it to work) I need it Stable. Just flipping release the patch. How flipping hard is that?????

What really gets me is they can right now at this moment put this patch up so the update can receive it.

Last edited:

Rickinfl

Contributor
According to https://redmine.ixsystems.com/versions/510

11.1 U5 drops May 28th. I don’t see any mention there of including the upstream EFI update. Consequently this is me not holding my breath. o_O

It's here under the Beta which is NOT a stable release due Due in 25 days (06/18/2018) - BTW this got pushed it was being released on 06/04/2018.

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/versions/422

Bug #26708: Fix UEFI boot menu to allow Linux kernels 4.15 and higher to boot properly in bhyve VMs

The next Stable release is due Due in 46 days (07/09/2018)

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/versions/478

Here is the info on the fix

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/26708

Last edited:

Rickinfl

Contributor
Last edited:

DaPlumber

Patron
@Rickinfl Thank you for that.

Can someone from the FreeNAS team explain why their “NeedsQA” switch is flipped on this? It’s a FreeBSD bug that’s been fixed that does not affect FreeNAS functionality. It’s a User-Land file change for the FreeNAS host. It’s in use in FreeBSD with no reported problems bless for a month. It’s been in the nightlies and stable there for what? A month? How much more QA does an easy fix like this need?

How much of a dev’s Time does this really need to get pulled into U5?

Rickinfl

Contributor
Good Luck getting a DEV to read this. I was told they read Bug Tickets Not Forums. Hint Hint.

Rickinfl

Contributor
I like posting in here also because it shows the General public what's going on and the troubles we have and shows up in Google Search. :)

DaPlumber

Patron
I’d happily log my 2c into a bug report, but is that possible as a non-dev?

Rickinfl

Contributor
I’d happily log my 2c into a bug report, but is that possible as a non-dev?

I can't answer that or tell you to do that, but I can say this.... Dorothy you're on the yellow brick road. :)

diskdiddler

Wizard
According to https://redmine.ixsystems.com/versions/510

11.1 U5 drops May 28th. I don’t see any mention there of including the upstream EFI update. Consequently this is me not holding my breath. o_O

Why do they hold such rigid dates? Is there a particular reason?
11.1 U5 has had only like 2 or 3 bugs fixed at most in the past 6 weeks, it's been at 0 / 1 / 2 /0 / 1 / 2 remaining issues at most. Do they have to wait specifically for the date?
Also does U5 mean May (5?)

DaPlumber

Patron
BTW kernel 4.13 seems to work just fine, thanks for that.

DaPlumber

Patron
Thinking about installing vanilla FreeBSD or Solaris :p

Definitely Solaris in my case. Encryption done right, seamless updates that can be completely rolled back, GUI if you want it, rock solid, mature containers, yada, yada. If only I didn’t have to be an Oracle hostage, sigh.

<Insert Star Wars “Sad devotion to that ancient religion” parody quote here>

Rickinfl

Contributor
From the looks of it this fix drops Due in 41 days (07/09/2018). I give up. I think they are delaying this because we pissed them off now. This has been fixed for a while now they could of released it in U5 but didn't. FreeBSD has had it fixed for over a Month now. They are too busy working on the "Pretty" GUI.

DaPlumber

Patron
To quote one of my favorite aphorisms: “Never attribute to malice anything that can be adequately explained by stupidity.” :rolleyes:

This applies so much to software development along with many other aspects of life in general. :p

João Dalvi

Dabbler
Definitely Solaris in my case. Encryption done right, seamless updates that can be completely rolled back, GUI if you want it, rock solid, mature containers, yada, yada. If only I didn’t have to be an Oracle hostage, sigh.

<Insert Star Wars “Sad devotion to that ancient religion” parody quote here>
Got me interested. I tested Solaris a long time ago, when it was property of Sun. Installed the opensolaris distro, very nice but now dead because of Oracle being a jerk... Question is: is there some free version of Solaris OS? I mean a free as in free beer, not opensource.

DaPlumber

Patron
Got me interested. I tested Solaris a long time ago, when it was property of Sun. Installed the opensolaris distro, very nice but now dead because of Oracle being a jerk... Question is: is there some free version of Solaris OS? I mean a free as in free beer, not opensource.

Sure, 11.3 Download page is here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html
11.3 license terms are here:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E53394_01/html/E54836/index.html
(Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Seriously Soporific!)

AFAIK it’s still Free (as in beer) to use and is a pay-for-support model. If you know your way around Linux distro’s and *BSDs you’ll have no issues. Hardware support is ok if not great, but the documentation is first class and available here: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E53394_01/index.html

I sometimes really wish that FreeNAS was simply an application shell around Solaris, but for so many reasons, that ain’t gonna happen. Solaris 11.3 is mature “cathedral” software engineering at its best. In terms of robustness, scalability, and performance it’s what Linux and the *BSDs aspire to be when they grow up! :rolleyes::p:cool:

anmnz

Patron
I sometimes really wish that FreeNAS was simply an application shell around Solaris

If that's what floats your boat you want to look at napp-it (www.napp-it.org). I tried it out (on OmniOS) a few years ago; it seemed a credible effort.

DaPlumber

Patron
If that's what floats your boat you want to look at napp-it (www.napp-it.org). I tried it out (on OmniOS) a few years ago; it seemed a credible effort.

Huh, never heard of it but that may be because as my high school teacher said:”Dein Deutsch ist pathetisch.” (Or something similar, this was back in the Middle Ages...)

Definitely going to check it out, thanks!

anmnz

Patron
Solaris 11.3 is mature “cathedral” software engineering at its best. In terms of robustness, scalability, and performance it’s what Linux and the *BSDs aspire to be when they grow up!

Well, and it's only IMO, and opinions vary, and so on...

Oracle Solaris 11.3 is when the priesthood move in to the cathedral and use it to extract rent from the peasants.

SunOS, and then Solaris, and OpenSolaris in the late 2000's, and its contemporary successors in the illumos world: SmartOS, Delphix, OmniOS, and so on -- that's how you build the cathedral, that's what to aspire to.