SOLVED VM: can't even boot (Ubuntu) or install grub (Debian)

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

I need a Linux machine in order to run Pi-Hole (there's no support for FreeBSD/NAS yet), and then I'm trying to setup a Linux VM.

I was able to do this on a previous pure FreeBSD system using this tutorial (with some adjustments), but now, in FreeNAS, I can't get the same, even if I try to use the WebUI.

I tried to install Debian 9.4, but the installation does not completed due to an error in the GRUB phase. There's no more explanation from the system about the error.

Then I tried to install an Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS, but the installation doesn't even boot!

I created the zvol (disk), associated a NIC, a CD-ROM (with the iso image) and enabled the VNC.

What more do I need to do in order to have a Linux VM?

Thanks.
Regards.

garm

Wizard
Bhyve assumes the name and location of the .efi rom. This has been asked and answered already, search and ye shall find.

KrisBee

Wizard
@zamana You didn't say which version of FreeNAS you are using, but bhyve doesn't work with the linux kernel version in "Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS" in Freenas 11.1-U5. Debian 9.4 or Ubuntu 16.04 can work using the webUI although there are possible snags & things to know.

1. With Debian 9.4 you may hit a problem with the initial VNC connection during the installation. If you see a garbled screen, hitting enter a couple of times might get you past this. Unfortunately this means you can't then choose the "expert install" you should be using to avoid having to mess around with EFI on the first boot after installation. If you don't hit the VNC problem, use the "expert option" for the install and make sure to answer yes to
Force grub-efi installation to the removable media path during the grub-install steps.

2. Using Ubuntu 16.04 and choosing the default LVM disk layout should mean the VM will boot OK post installation when using UEFI as the boot method without need for intervention.

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

@KrisBee, thanks for reply.

I did choose to install Ubuntu 16.04 and it worked. I did not to follow the LVM disk layout and decided to partition the disk myself, but it worked just fine.

Thanks!