Very slow transfer speed Trunas scale 22.12.2 with SMB

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Also, it disconnected before the test could complete... what kind of network is the client on?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so your internet is 100Mbits (almost), but your LAN should usually be much faster (Gigabit).

saebaryo

Dabbler
That's not even 100Mbits... that will need to be investigated if you're going to hope for faster transfers.
Is this speed between my server and local machine right?
So, something wrong in my network set up then?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You haven't described your hardware properly. Please look at the forum rules (link above in red) and post a more complete description of your setup (not screenshots).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is this speed between my server and local machine right?
So, something wrong in my network set up then?
That's what it looks like to me.

saebaryo

Dabbler
You haven't described your hardware properly. Please look at the forum rules (link above in red) and post a more complete description of your setup (not screenshots).
Hardware is:

• Motherboard maker and model: I do not have the exact model but it is from an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR
  • CPU make and model: i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz
  • RAM quantity: 16GB DDR 3
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives: 5 drives: 1 HDD 320GB Seagate 7200RPM, for Pool 1: 2 X Seagate 2TB 5900RPM, Pool 2: 1 Seagate 2TB 5900RPM and 1 Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM
  • Hard disk controllers: Where can I find that? in Bios maybe?
  • Network cards: Gigabit Intel i217 LM (Rev4)
Thanks!

saebaryo

Dabbler
Tried iperf with direct ethernet cable from the router:

Code:
Client connecting to 192.168.1.29, TCP port 5201
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  1] local 192.168.1.162 port 55428 connected with 192.168.1.29 port 5201
tcp write failed: Connection reset by peer
shutdown failed: Transport endpoint is not connected
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  1] 0.0000-0.2897 sec  34.2 MBytes   992 Mbits/sec

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
992 Mbits/sec
That's more like it. almost 1 Gbit. What took you over 4 seconds on WiFi took 0.2 seconds on ethernet cable.

However, you also got another connection failure during the test.

can you get the output from dmesg on the server to see if the driver is giving any feedback about that?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

saebaryo

Dabbler
That's more like it. almost 1 Gbit. What took you over 4 seconds on WiFi took 0.2 seconds on ethernet cable.

However, you also got another connection failure during the test.

can you get the output from dmesg on the server to see if the driver is giving any feedback about that?

Attached the result, thanks a mill!

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    67.1 KB · Views: 127

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
No specific reports from the NIC other than the standard Kubernetes stuff... maybe consider stopping all your apps while doing this testing.

It's using the e1000e driver and I see a reference to it being a 2.5 Gig card... some memory of those early 2.5 Gbit models being really buggy.

Not sure if anyone with direct experience with one of those can chime in on success with using it under SCALE?

Do you have a different client to test from? and/or another network card/free slot in the server?

sretalla