User's home directory not accessible by user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucien

Dabbler
I've found that the the user's home directory, created by Add New User -> Home Directory, is not actually accessible to the user. In my setup I'm running v9.2.1.6 and have

• A ZFS volume named "tank",
  • A dataset named "home".

I chose /mnt/tank/home to be the home directory for user Bob, which results in the system automatically creating a directory "Bob" there. The problem is the ownership of the directory is set to 700 with user: root and group: wheel, which means Bob can't access it. This happens whether I accept the default permissions for home, or change them to have user:Bob and group: Bobgroup.

One of the effects of this is that Bob's public key isn't then accessible when trying to log in via SSH. Fiddling with the permissions of the directory works (I tried adding Bob to the wheel group and doing a chmod 750 on /mnt/tank/home/Bob), but is this lack of access by design or is it unintentional?

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Shouldn't you be choosing /mnt/tank/home/bob to be the home directory for user Bob?

Lucien

Dabbler
FreeNAS automatically creates a user directory named after the user at the chosen location. So I choose /mnt/tank/home and FreNAS sets the home directory to be /mnt/tank/home/Bob.

That being the case, if I selected /mnt/tank/home/Bob as the home directory location, FreeNAS would make the home directory /mnt/tank/home/Bob/Bob, which is *not* what I want.

The issue here is that the directory created by FreeNAS is not owned or accessible by Bob by default.

SmallGuy

Guru
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.