Enabling "default permission" does not work

rangopango

Contributor
I made a new user called "bob", I put it in the home directory called "/nonexistent", I added it to the primary group "wheel" and I gave it a password.
My dataset which I'm trying to share have "share type: Windows", "ACL type: Windows", the user is "bob" and the group is "wheel".

For some reason, I can't enable "default permission" when I create a share. Why?What did I do wrong?

It gives me a "call timeout" error after 30-60 seconds.

I also have a second dataset in another separate pool and when I create a share for that second dataset, it'll save with default permissions but it'll be unticked/unset when I view options again. Is this normal?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I made a new user called "bob", I put it in the home directory called "/nonexistent", I added it to the primary group "wheel" and I gave it a password.
My dataset which I'm trying to share have "share type: Windows", "ACL type: Windows", the user is "bob" and the group is "wheel".

For some reason, I can't enable "default permission" when I create a share. Why?What did I do wrong?

It gives me a "call timeout" error after 30-60 seconds.

I also have a second dataset in another separate pool and when I create a share for that second dataset, it'll save with default permissions but it'll be unticked/unset when I view options again. Is this normal?

In 11.2-U5 I've made it so that permissions resets "apply default permissions" run in the background. This means there won't be any middleware timeouts during "apply default permissions". The most common reason for the timeout would be that the path contains a large number of files (enough that the reset exceeds the call timeout value in middleware). As far as unchecking "apply default permissions go", that's expected behavior.

rangopango

Contributor
That is true, I have a lot of files (over 10 TB, mostly small files).

But why does it occur with brand new pools? Shouldn't "apply default permissions" work with empty pools?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That is true, I have a lot of files (over 10 TB, mostly small files).

But why does it occur with brand new pools? Shouldn't "apply default permissions" work with empty pools?
Can you post a step-by-step breakdown of how you're applying them to an empty pool? I'll try to reproduce this and see if there's a bug.

rangopango

Contributor
I honestly don't remember if the "apply default permissions" was already ticked, but I made a new pool with six 10TB drives in RAIDZ2. I created a user called "rohan" and I put it in the group called "wheel" under the home directory called "/nonexistent" and that's pretty much it. I also changed ACL type and share type to "Windows" in storage settings.

Here are my share settings the large pool https://i.imgur.com/umhEx7I.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/1194cWC.jpg

However I can enable "apply default permission" on my share for my very small and new pool, but when I open options again, I can see that it has been unticked/unset.

Just to clarify, I do have a share and I am able to access my files over the network, it's just that "apply default permissions" is a bit wonky at the moment lol

Last edited:

rangopango

Contributor
In my large pool, I am sharing the dataset under my pool. Inside that dataset, there are multiple datasets.
In the small and new pool, I'm only sharing one dataset and it's the only dataset afaik.

In total, there are only two shares (one for the dataset under my large pool, and another one for the dataset in new and small pool).