Used X9 dual E5 v1 or new X11 E3 v6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arboleda

Cadet
My intent is to run a FreeNAS 11 on a dedicated server, no virtualization.

So a dedicated server... So where I'm stuck is whether to get a used Supermicro X9 generation mobo and CPUs and RAM (heck, I'd buy the whole thing already built with the exceptions of the drives/adapter cards/additional NICs) versus whether to buy a brand new X11 motherboard with an E3 v6 processor and new or used DDR4 RAM. If I go the X11 route I'd still probably get a used 3u or 4u Supermicro case - I think.

I think I'll do the cost differences tonight but my impression as of now is that the used X9 route will give me more RAM (cheap DDR3 and the MB can take far more RAM than I'd ever install). The CPUs will have more cores but lower clockrates. IE - A dual proc E5-2xxx v1 will provide 16 cores. The additional cores will probably never be utilized by my FreeNAS box and the lower clockrate probably won't matter for my uses.

The X11 with single E3 v6 approach gives me a much newer part set, faster RAM, and faster single-threaded (higher clock, higher instructions per clock). But I'll be capped at 64GB RAM.

I'm leaning a bit towards the X9 with dual dual E5-2xxx v1 and DDR3 approach. It's nice that you can buy a system like this pre-built used and it's gonna "just work" versus that slight chance of getting something defective with new parts. I'm pretty comfortable troubleshooting hardware but this would be my only X11 system so I won't have spare CPUs or RAM or such to troubleshoot any problems that do come up.

My use cases will be:
- General NAS uses (many terabytes of media and such)
- Heavy torrenting which sometimes entails heavy read access when re-verifying data, etc.
- Periodic use in my software dev like SQL Server storage, etc.
- Maybe as a datastore for vsphere - though I may keep my vsphere box using local storage

I might play with volume encryption and dedup though I suspect I won't use either long-term.

Very few users but when I need to move terabytes of data I want it to go very fast. When torrent clients need to re-check multiple terabytes of data I want it to move fast. If I do use it as a SQL Server datastore I want that to be quick.

I'd probably start with 32GB of RAM if I go X11 and then watch the cache hit rates and such. But I'll never be able to do more than 64GB max. This makes me lean a bit towards X9 with dual E5 v1 where I can easily surpass 64GB RAM and the RAM is cheap.

Anyone else go through the used X9 E5 v1 versus new X11 E3 v6 decision process for a dedicated FreeNas box? Any regrets or additional perspectives you gained after you made your choice?

m0nkey_

MVP
Welcome to the forums!
I might play with volume encryption and dedup though I suspect I won't use either long-term.
I suggest you avoid encryption as it's more trouble than it's worth. You don't want to enable it unless you're prepared to read the user guide, test your backups and recovery scenarios.

Deduplication will not give you much in terms of space saving and keep in mind that the RAM requirements are huge. The default LZ4 compression is quick and will in most cases save you more space than deduplication would ever do.

Whether you choose to go with an older X9 or newer X11, you really can't go wrong with SuperMicro. They've been pretty much tried and tested and are one of the more recommended systems to buy.

tvsjr

Guru
Encryption - make sure you understand WHY you're doing it. If the reason is "so the gubmint can't read my files!", remember, if they have physical possession of the device, you're screwed anyway. And encryption doesn't help you from any network-based attacks. Usually, encryption is a compliance thing.
Dedup is very hard on the system. Again, you should know why you're doing it before you just turn it on.

I have a dual E5v1 system, and I can tell you that the CPU load is zero. The system is providing a VM data store along with file storage (two pools), but I'm not running jails/VMs/etc. So it's somewhat a waste.

If you aren't planning stupidly large pools AND you aren't planning to run a ton of VMs, I'd probably go X11. If you start seeing lots of cache thrashing even at 64GB RAM, I'd be tempted to try an NVMe L2ARC.

Stux

MVP
The big difference will be power consumption.

X11 will be... 80W? vs what? 240W?

Status
Not open for further replies.