X9 Motherboard's Power Usage Vs X10/X11

What do you Think Is to much to spend on power?

• 050 Watts a Hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500 Watts a Hour

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snow

Patron
Why do you Guys never talk about X9 boards ever? I think they are a good middle ground to the X10/X11.
They support DRR3 and with a bios update can take a V2 Xeons Also the 2011 Xeons are cheap used.
I just upgrade to a X9 board and love it! I know that the saving with a X10/X11 board is why most pick it but
with 2x 1100w Psu's and 2x E5-2620 Plus 128Gb of Ram with 11 disks a LSI 9211-8i I run around 314 Watts Peak
& 170 is My low, I average 245 Watts Hour Per 7 Days. & Not sure what the X11 or X10 Run's at but it would be cool
to compare them. I am about to add a 3rd pool of 4Tb disks would love to see some number's of others with X series boards.
Would be cool to show a comparative chart may also help other's to pick out hardware.

melloa

Wizard
X9 boards? What's that? (See my signature ;))

I love my X9. Today I have two X9DRi-LN4F+ and twp X9SRW-F. The main reason to go X9 was the cost of the memory, by the way.

Snow

Patron
Lol so right ^ I Had the X8 and Loved it! Oh yeah that's what I was looking at when I did the X9 it was around 110 bucks cheaper then the X10 And I did not even look at X11 Ver. I found 16Gb Reg2 dims for 14 bucks a dim I picked up 8 it was Kingston and with all the crap Kingston been up to with there Dimm's not working With Supermicro Motherboards. I did get the ram be for I read the post Just happy I did not have any problems. How many watts do you pull on your main system?

SMnasMAN

Contributor
im in the same boat right now, redoing my home/office setup (pretty big setup) so im taking readings / buying parts - of x9 vs x10 (or xeonD systems) i can give this info, sorry its just a copy and paste, so may not make sense (im short on time currently). ask any ? and i can give more info though.

(using images so formatting remains)

powerp1Capture.JPG powerp2Capture.JPG

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why do you Guys never talk about X9 boards ever?
When your foundational premise is wrong, everything else that follows will be too. If you believe this, you simply haven't been paying attention here.

Snow

Patron
When your foundational premise is wrong, everything else that follows will be too. If you believe this, you simply haven't been paying attention here.
Why would it be wrong ? I see Many with X9 Setups How is using Server hardware foundational wrong? Really why even comment if your not going to follow the Op of the tread.

I chooses the X9 As it is cheaper all around for hardware But not going to kill me on the power bill.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why would it be wrong ?
Because the very portion I quoted from your post is factually incorrect. Lots of people here, including most of the most frequent posters, talk about X9 boards a lot, and in a good many cases recommend them over the X10/X11 boards.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How is using Server hardware foundational wrong?
You picked the wrong part. It isn't server hardware that is wrong, it is the idea that older hardware is bad that is wrong.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why do you Guys never talk about X9 boards ever?
X9 generation boards is the main thing that I suggest when anyone bothers to ask. It is what I run and there is no great advantage to go newer. Some small advantages like better fan control, but nothing that is worth the cost of the newer hardware. If you thing we never talk X9, you have not been reading the forum long.

Snow

Patron
Oh ok I see what he is saying Sorry danb35, I kinda bit your head off there! I just see a lot of posts and stuff pointing peolpe to the new x10/x11 stuff. I well agree with you there I have seen X9 stuff but noting Compared to x10/x11 Posts/Info. I just wanted to see & promote it as it saved me a boat load of cash :). If others would post up some Statistics so we could compare the difference's that user's see is all I was asking. I know they have them on paper but some times what they say on paper, is not what you really get!

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
if others would post up some Power Statistics so we could compare the difference's that user's see. I know they Have them posted on paper but some times that they say you should be getting is not what you really get.
On thing you might find interesting to look at is the post from @jgreco about power supply sizing. He talks about what uses the most power in a system and in most FreeNAS systems, it is the hard drives that consume the vast majority of the power.

Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

and here is a link to one of the many threads where I suggested X9 generation hardware that is compatible with RDIMM memory because of the cost savings it permits:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...how-much-ram-for-vms-usable.63636/post-470411

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
X9 generation boards is the main thing that I suggest when anyone bothers to ask. It is what I run and there is no great advantage to go newer.

The improvements since Sandy Bridge have been incremental and evolutionary, at best. I laugh at the people who buy the newest and greatest at twice the cost. Sandy and Ivy CPU's are cheap, DDR3 RAM is cheap, boards can be cheap, and you can put together systems at a very reasonable price that have 80% plus of the performance of a comparably dimensioned system today.

Snow

Patron
Yeah that's kinda the vibe I was getting. I fully agree with you jgreco I do not see the miniscule percentage being worth it. Now if you have a very large setup with many jbod's & San's, I can see that 10-15% becoming very appealing.
On thing you might find interesting to look at is the post from @jgreco about power supply sizing. He talks about what uses the most power in a system and in most FreeNAS systems, it is the hard drives that consume the vast majority of the power.

Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

and here is a link to one of the many threads where I suggested X9 generation hardware that is compatible with RDIMM memory because of the cost savings it permits:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...how-much-ram-for-vms-usable.63636/post-470411

Oh I have read the post was done very nicely!
Question for all three of you, do any of you run dockers and if so how is the performance?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah that's kinda the vibe I was getting. I fully agree with you jgreco I do not see the miniscule percentage being worth it. Now if you have a very large setup with many jbod's & San's, I can see that 10-15% becoming very appealing.

Even there, the answer may be just to throw heavier hardware at the issue. Getting a pair of used E5-2643v2's on eBay runs around $350, which gives you 12 cores at 3.5GHz. It's hard to see what within the Xeon Bronze or Silver lineup would be even vaguely comparable to that, certainly not at even twice the price. And moving past those, you're well into four-digit dollar territory.

Oh I have read the post was done very nicely!
Question for all three of you, do any of you run dockers and if so how is the performance?

Docker is basically just a Linux version of jails, in my opinion. I know I'll get all sorts of blowback from the die-hard Linux fans that they "invented" the technology, but phk was working on this in 1999 and it made it into FreeBSD in 2000, and I've been making heavy use of jails ever since. Most of the FreeBSD systems I build are actually designed to run "jailed" apps using a framework I've been developing for at least as long as jails have existed. Before jails, it was chroot. :smile:

I know there's been a lot of work to make the Linux Docker stuff work on FreeBSD but I have no idea about the performance of it. Assuming that the shim that converts is efficient, which it ought to be, it should be reasonably performant. Both Docker and jails are likely to be a lot more efficient than full virtualization.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are you just boosting your post count with all these multiple followups this morning? :)
Sometimes I just post it as I think it, then post again when I think of something more I want to say. Most of the time I am a bit less hair triggered and I spend more time thinking about it before I post and I make a single long post. It is more about my mood on a given day.

Snow

Patron
Sometimes I just post it as I think it, then post again when I think of something more I want to say. Most of the time I am a bit less hair triggered and I spend more time thinking about it before I post and I make a single long post. It is more about my mood on a given day.
I do the same thing some times, think he is just tiring to pass you up @jgreco ! :)
I just edit my post if its with in like 15 or 20Mins

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I do the same thing some times, think he is just tiring to pass you up @jgreco ! :)
That is funny, but highly unlikely. I guess I will need to be more careful about multiple posts. I don't want to get a bad rep.
I just edit my post if its with in like 15 or 20Mins
I sometimes do that too. It is a little random. I have also come back later and consolidated multiple posts into a single post, but I don't do that if I think someone has already responded to the post because the forum links back to the post number and I don't want to create links that go to nowhere.

Often, when I add another post, it is because I am posting from my phone and it is just easier to add another post than to try and edit an existing one.

Snow

Patron
That is funny, but highly unlikely. I guess I will need to be more careful about multiple posts. I don't want to get a bad rep.

I sometimes do that too. It is a little random. I have also come back later and consolidated multiple posts into a single post, but I don't do that if I think someone has already responded to the post because the forum links back to the post number and I don't want to create links that go to nowhere.

Often, when I add another post, it is because I am posting from my phone and it is just easier to add another post than to try and edit an existing one.
I try not to responded via my phone they have not perfected the fat finger keyboard yet! Unless it is a few words or less.