X9 Motherboard's Power Usage Vs X10/X11

What do you Think Is to much to spend on power?

• 050 Watts a Hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500 Watts a Hour

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I do the same thing some times, think he is just tiring to pass you up @jgreco !

Yeah, pretty obviously, right? :smile:

That is funny, but highly unlikely. I guess I will need to be more careful about multiple posts. I don't want to get a bad rep.

Too late for that!

Naw, I'm just teasing. The only way for the forumware to work correctly with notifications etc. is to make additional posts. Editing an existing post is a good way to get new content totally missed by someone who has already read the previous version of the post. Editing or combining posts causes other problems too.

I have no desire to be top poster here. For a long while, I was actually highest volume poster, because there were very few others who were cranking out high quality answers about various technical questions. That was the genesis of a lot of my stickies (now "resources") because I really had no desire to be providing the same answers, over and over, and would rather be able to point people at a thorough answer than have to pound out a half-arsed answer each time.

We're now blessed with a number of contributors who have a lot more time, and are able to provide high quality answers. This is good because I have generally lacked the time to spend hours every day answering questions. I do try to stay involved, however.

It's not a competition. I expect @Chris Moore to pass me up at some point, and that's just dandy. I do reserve the right to tease though.

Snow

Patron
Yeah, pretty obviously, right? :).
Lol Yeah ;) yes you do.

One thing I would Like to add about that 10-15% when you have a large data center, And running one FreeNas box with 6 JBOD'S your looking at 250-350$ Per a rack for power so 15% of $250 is around $37 less Per a rack. Now let's say you have 30 Rack's. That is a savings of 1100$ per month.
I was updating my outdated hardware along with my Networking, NVR, and UPS, It saved me almost 90$ It was well worth it.

I swapped out a dell 2900, 2950, And homemade server, (2 HP Paper curves, I mean paper waits Dam Pro Curves LoL) and a old ups. That was some how costing me 30$ a month to run. WOW I was amazed, So on the power subject a good UPS/BBU is a must!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Lol Yeah ;) yes you do.

One thing I would Like to add about that 10-15% when you have a large data center, And running one FreeNas box with 6 JBOD'S your looking at 250-350$ Per a rack for power so 15% of $250 is around $37 less Per a rack. Now let's say you have 30 Rack's. That is a savings of 1100$ per month.
I was updating my outdated hardware along with my Networking, NVR, and UPS, It saved me almost 90$ It was well worth it.

Most data centers sell fixed capacity circuits for power, unless you're at a pretty large (~hundreds of racks) scale. There's an argument that you may be able to fit "one more server" in the rack if you can save 15%, which is true.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Snow

Patron
where your ears ringing :) Yes sir.