FreeNAS + Plex? Dedicated server for each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzaj

Explorer
I built a FreeNAS server in 2016 anticipating Corral to replace a WHS:

Intel Xeon E3 3.6Ghz 1275
64gb ram
Supermicro X11 Board

Due to issues with Corral I have been relying on my WHS to run plex and perform transcoding and utilizing FreeNAS as a NAS only. This sent me down a path to build a dedicated streaming server using dual Xeon 2670 processors and retaining the NAS setup using 10Gbe. Now that I have started buying the components, I am reconsidering and just setting it up as a FreeNas + Plex box.

My concern with FreeNas + Plex is the OH required for Plex on top of all of the ZFS activity, etc. Should I still keep my planned setup with a dedicated transcoding server? Aside from having separate hardware, is there a disadvantage to having this type setup?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My concern with FreeNas + Plex is the OH required for Plex on top of all of the ZFS activity, etc.
What overhead? ZFS does need more resources than a traditional filesystem, but (apart from RAM) that's down in the noise.

Should be a non issue especially with two 2670's. I have a dual E5640 which passmarks around 8900. Even with the first version E5-2670 you are looking at a passmark around 18000. My system can transcode multiple 1080p streams at once along with running other jails and the FreeNAS doing it's thing but it bogs down with 4k video transcodes. Yours should be able to do at least one 4k stream transcoded along with other things.

As far as a disadvantage you have two systems that at idle are using power when you could just have one system. Along with the increased power use is the increased heat output and needing to run the ac longer in the heat of summer which will eventually bite you in the butt. Build out a single system and save some money now and later.

pschatz100

Guru
The only significant overhead specifically associated with Plex will be related to transcoding, which takes CPU resources. @nightshade00013's estimates look very reasonable.

The amount of transcoding effort required will also depend upon your playback devices. For instance, the new Roku Premiere devices and many of the new smart TV's support hardware decoding of HEVC which is commonly used for 4K. They would require less transcoding resource than a Roku 3 or an older smart TV. Something to think about...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Move off of Corral to FreeNAS 11 and set Plex up in a jail.

Stux

MVP
And it most likely benefits Plex having the transcode running locally on the same system as the storage.

bigzaj

Explorer
I will try running it all on one machine. I guess a benefit is I can setup the current machine as a backup FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.