BUILD Building a server for FreeNas primary for Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXAG26

Patron
It's Supermicro's mistake, mostly. I'd like to talk with the guy who wrote the DIMM slot population charts.
I'll pull the board this evening and switch the RAM around. I'll be taking another round of screen shots and will send them to Supermicro for them to update. I just checked the SM website and the manual still contains this bad information. It's a shame that there are probably a ton of these X10 boards already floating around with mis-configured ram.

TXAG26

Patron
So, pulled the board and now have a stick of ram in each of the four blue slots. All four black "2" slots are empty.
I'm still seeing the same 12.5 GB/s speed in Memtest86! :-( What the heck???

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Here are my test results with all the DIMM slots populated. I used both memtest86 and memtestx86+.

upload_2015-5-14_21-54-1.png

upload_2015-5-14_21-53-39.png

TXAG26

Patron
Awesome! Thanks for your help Depasseg! I guess that basically answers my question and seems to indicate it doesn't matter which slots you actually use (at least according to Memtest86).

I know Memtest86 probably isn't the best benchmark, so I'll be temporarily installing Windows on this box this weekend to run some better memory benchmarks.

marbus90

Guru
You can try benchmarking with dd and /dev/zero as well. If you've enabled lz4 compress, that's near-memory speed. But well, it's an acceptable speed, since @depasseg: uses a CPU which is DDR4-2133MHz capable.

@depasseg: why did you use a single-CPU board with the expensive, Dual-CPU optimized 2637? The 1620 is usually far cheaper...

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I goofed. I originally had a Dual CPU box spec'd with my reseller. We decided to make a last minute change to a single proc system, but didn't change the CPU type. Nice catch. :smile:

TXAG26

Patron
I changed my ram to be in slots: DIMMA1, DIMMB1, DIMMC1, DIMMD1.

No change to the benchmark speeds as reported by Memtest86 and Memtest86+. However, I did temporarily install Windows 7 Pro and ran PCMark 8. My memory scores (gross scores, bandwidth, latency, etc.) met or actually exceeded similar single socket 612/X99 chipset/DDR4 boards, so I think everything is performing where it should be.

Based upon the ~50Gb/s bandwidth seen in PCMark, I'm guessing that Memtest86 is just reporting 1 channel of DDR4 ram, which would make sense as it showed 12.5Gb/s. Multiply that by x4 channels = approx. 50Gb/s.

Sundaydiver

Cadet
Just to beat a dead horse, I just built a box using this MB and filled two ram slots according to manual i.e. DIMMA1 and DIMMA2. But I noticed the following when looking at ipimi, even though there is nothing in DIMMC1 or DIMMC2. So which dimms should I put sticks in?? DIMMA1 & DIMMC1, then two more in DIMMA2 & DIMMC2? etc
Screenshot_2015-08-07-12-16-37.png

TXAG26

Patron
I found the X10SRH-CLN4F change log for BIOS 1.0b:

01. Updated Intel RC 1.15
02. Updated ME firmware to 3.0.7.154
03. Fixed AES-NI item lost in setup menu.
04. Fixed system yellow in windows when video output from offboard VGA.
05. Implement failure DIMM information to early video screen.
06. Fix that system would hang 0xAD with BMC disable.
07. Fix that SR-IOV cannot work after enabling Network Stack and then disabling it.
08. Display BMC IP at early video.
09. Fixed up the CPU Version can't show completely in SETUP MENU.
10. Implement check password during POST or enter Setup feature.
11. Fixed HDD smart error stop when disabling "Wait For F1 If Error".
12. Updated Intel TXT ACM modules with BIOS ACM 2.1.
13. Added Intel Haswell-EP supported.
14. Added the RT32 module function support.
15. Added the POST Progress Message function support.
16. Updated the DCA functions related table.
17. Suppress the correctable ECC memory error and AER.
18. Fix the BIOS recovery function is failed with certain disk.
19. Fix the after BIOS Password check set to "Setup", need key-in twice password when enter to BIOS.
20. Fix the IOBP register settings.
21. Fix the IPMI information in the BIOS IPMI BMC network Configuration is incorrect.

This bios version (1.0b) seems very stable in my machine, but I did have to flash it twice (had an issue the first time, but no issues re-flashing, which was nice).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, DIMM slots A1/B1/C1/D1 are a more logical choice, regardless of what the manual says.

Status
Not open for further replies.