Offloading Plex from FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I have a server running FreeNAS-11.0-U3 (c5dcf4416)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz
Memory 32690MB
RAID Z2 w/ 5 WD Reds

It runs great. I have about 6 friends that stream, and I find that if all 6 of them are on, performance degrades. I know some of it is due to my upstream bandwidth being capped at 20 Mbit. But I also wonder if I could improve performance by moving Plex to a dedicated box?

FreeNAS would continue to host shares, torrent, SickBeard, Sazbnd, etc. I have a desktop gaming rig which I do not use, with a ton of RAM (no ECC), SSD's fast Core i7, and a nice GPU. Would putting Plex on this machine help my setup at all?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have about 6 friends that stream, and I find that if all 6 of them are on, performance degrades
If this traffic is all outgoing WAN, then your six friends need to take up a collection for you to upgrade to a faster tier.

You can easily figure 3 to 5 Mbits per second, per stream and with 6 simultaneously active connections,
I seriously doubt that moving plex to another machine would make an appreciable difference.

Chris Dill

Contributor
If this traffic is all outgoing WAN, then your six friends need to take up a collection for you to upgrade to a faster tier.

You can easily figure 3 to 5 Mbits per second, per stream and with 6 simultaneously active connections,
I seriously doubt that moving plex to another machine would make an appreciable difference.
Where I live, my home office can only get Comcast. I have the highest to your Comcast Business Internet which is $220 per month. In order to grow past that I would need to go to Metro ethernet which is $7,000 per month plus 10000 or more dollars upfront construction cost. So even with my friends help I wouldn't be able to get more than I can now unfortunately.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I voice typed that so some of it came out wrong. Not 7000 but several thousand

styno

Patron
You should start to identify the performance bottleneck(s) when the issue occurs. If the bottleneck is your upload speed you can invest a lot of $$ in hardware and offload whatever you want without any noticable improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.