SOLVED Plex on FreeNAS Jail, or Separate Server Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I run:
Build FreeNAS-11.1-U2
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz
Memory 32690MB
System Time Tue, 6 Mar 2018 09:41:44 -0500
Uptime 9:41AM up 6 days, 23:34, 1 user
Load Average 0.25, 0.35, 0.35

This was built using the hardware guide. I run CIFS shares on FreeNAS, plus plugins: Plex, Transmission, Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, CouchPotato. Performance is fine, Plex works well for the most part. I sometimes run into issues with my upload bandwidth if multiple friends are on it.

I have recently inherited a nice new Dell:
PowerEdge R620
6 core CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
RAM 15.96 GB
4x NIC

I am currently running ESXi 6.5, and I could easily put Plex into a VM and run it as the sole guest.

Is there any reason to do this? In my experience as a server admin, dedicated resources are always better. Even though my FreeNAS works well, would I gain speed and performance by moving my Plex to its own server install instead of a jail? My other reason for looking into this is that jails make Plex more complex to me.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there any reason to do this?
No. It would require sending the file (stored on the NAS) across the network to the Plex VM and then streaming the video across the network again to the player. This increases network traffic and provides no reward.
would I gain speed and performance by moving my Plex to its own server install instead of a jail?
I would say no, because jails are extremely low overhead due to the way they are implemented. The only hard work your NAS does for the Plex is when it is trans-coding video. If your processor utilization were an issue, then it might make sense. Is the FreeNAS CPU utilization high?
Load Average 0.25, 0.35, 0.35
The info you posted doesn't make it look that way.
6 core CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
The Dell CPU is only marginally better than the FreeNAS CPU:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2620+@+2.00GHz
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1220+v3+@+3.10GHz

If you upgraded the Dell to a faster v2 revision chip, it might change things.
Something like this for example: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=2042
My other reason for looking into this is that jails make Plex more complex to me.
It is always nice to get something for free, but I don't think there is an advantage in what you are suggesting, unless you are thinking to create a Windows VM and run Plex inside of Windows? All the interaction needed for Plex is done through the WebUI. What could be simpler?

Chris Dill

Contributor
Wow, awesome answer thanks!

I do not enjoy updating Plex through the jail as I have to jexec in and do it manually, would be nice to do it through the UI. Also I am working with a third party Google Assistant plugin, which is possibly made more difficult due to the FreeNAS jail setup.

But regardless, I will keep it as is due to your excellent advice, thank you again!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I do not enjoy updating Plex through the jail as I have to jexec in and do it manually
I have the Plex Pass life membership and I don't bother to manually update my Plex. I used to manually update through the command line, but I don't feel there is enough advantage to warrant the effort. I can wait a little longer for the update, so when the plugin is updated, I install it through the GUI. I would rather take advantage of the 'easy' button when I can.
Also I am working with a third party Google Assistant plugin
What is that / what is it for?

Chris Dill

Contributor

danb35

Hall of Famer
I used to manually update through the command line, but I don't feel there is enough advantage to warrant the effort.
There is another option, of course: to set up a cron job to run updates automatically on whatever schedule you desire. If you've installed the plugin, the PMS_Updater script would do the trick. If you've manually built the jail, a simple pkg upgrade would do it. One less thing to manually (forget to) do.

Chris Dill

Contributor
Yeah, I manually run the PMS Updater script currently, I log in and do it when my plex gives me the orange update banner.

Status
Not open for further replies.