Upload config file into offline USB install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr si

Cadet
Hi - i am flashing a usb drive with 8.3.1, as a backup.

I have my config file saved. How do i push the config file into the OS without booting off the USB ?

( i am doing this remotely and there is no-one sitting in front of the box to change the ip address to allow me to access it via GUI )

Can i mount the vanilla install on windows after install and load the config file into it ?

thanks

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't remember ever having to sit in front of the box to change the IP address.
Aren't you using DHCP to obtain your IP? Or if you want static IP address, you could set up a static DHCP address to achieve the same effect. Doing one of those two things greatly simplifies having to do a lot of manual configurations.

mr si

Cadet
Hmm - i thought the default setup was a static ip. So if i want to access the gui can i just go \\freenas in my browser when its booted ?

I would still like to be able to push the config into an offline/non-booted usb install.

Whattteva

Wizard
I really don't know why you're trying to make your life harder, but I don't think windows understands the file system that the stick is formatted in (UFS, I believe).

Whattteva

Wizard
If you insist on going the hard route, search around for a UFS filesystem reader for windows.
If you somehow succeed in finding one, you want to go to /data/ and the database that you want to replace is called "freenas-v1.db"

Do this at your own risk because this is obviously not the recommended way of doing things (yet another reason why you shouldn't go this route, if you catch my drift).

mr si

Cadet
Ok - i accept that the standard way is best.

Quick question: i just booted from the usb into 8.3.1, and went straight to my config backup file. Its been sitting saying 'loading...' for about 25 mins now.
Im guessing something is wrong ......

Whattteva

Wizard
Yeah something is definitely wrong. Should take like a few seconds and then it should give you a screen that says "Rebooting"

mr si

Cadet
Ok thanks. Cancel and retry seemed to do the trick. Took about 2 seconds !

Status
Not open for further replies.