Upgrading Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

1RoH

Dabbler
Hi all,
First of all i want to thank you for your time on reading this and helping me out. Currently i have SuperMicro X9SCL nadIntel Xeon E3-1220, im buying this sweet motherboard . So my question is keeping all the data, which is most of my kids videos and pics, and wifes stuff. What is the best way to upgrade to a new mobo and dont loose what i have right now. I could backup everything on the ext.hdd and reinstall freenas, but that's sounds painful, so if anyone knows a better way to do it please let me know. Thanks again and Happy 4th of July!!!!

danb35

Hall of Famer
  1. Remove old motherboard
  2. Install new motherboard
  3. Boot FreeNAS and enjoy!
It's possible that you'll need to reconfigure your network interface, if you manually configured it with the previous board and the new board uses a different driver. If that's necessary, you can do it from the console.

In what way do you consider the new motherboard to be an upgrade from your existing board? Looks to me like it would be a step down. Sure, it's got 4 LAN ports, but those aren't very useful for FreeNAS in most cases. If you're concerned about CPU grunt from your low-end Xeon (and I'm not at all sure the C2550 would be better on that score), you'd be better off buying an E3-1270V2 and putting it in your existing board. The board you're looking at would be great for a pfSense router, but seems pretty light for FreeNAS.

1RoH

Dabbler
  1. Remove old motherboard
  2. Install new motherboard
  3. Boot FreeNAS and enjoy!
It's possible that you'll need to reconfigure your network interface, if you manually configured it with the previous board and the new board uses a different driver. If that's necessary, you can do it from the console.

In what way do you consider the new motherboard to be an upgrade from your existing board? Looks to me like it would be a step down. Sure, it's got 4 LAN ports, but those aren't very useful for FreeNAS in most cases. If you're concerned about CPU grunt from your low-end Xeon (and I'm not at all sure the C2550 would be better on that score), you'd be better off buying an E3-1270V2 and putting it in your existing board. The board you're looking at would be great for a pfSense router, but seems pretty light for FreeNAS.
I see, thanks for the quick reply, im also looking into upgrading my pfsense box. Thank you again ill reconsider my setup now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.