First NAS Build

GhzGuy

Cadet
Hi all!

I've been looking to build a NAS for my parents for some time now, and I think I have a few parts that will prove useful, but I just wanted to be sure everything would play nicely. We're not looking to run movies or anything off of this. I just want to have a place to put all those important photos and documents.

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCL I know it's not the newest thing, but I feel that for what is needed this should do the job OK.
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1220 V2
RAM: 8GB ECC DDR3
Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX I have this case from another old build, so I figured this would be a good use of it.
PSU: Seasonic Prime Gold 550W I know it's a little large in terms of wattage, but it should be reliable for a good long while.
Boot Drive: Kingston A400 120GB Another case of "Had it so I guess I should use it"
Storage Drives: WD Red 1TB I know it's not a huge amount of storage, but I doubt they'll get close to even half, so I figured I should save them some money. It's mostly pictures we're saving, so perhaps in the future we'll upgrade.

I have yet to purchase the Motherbord, CPU, RAM, or the Storage drives. Assuming the Mobo, CPU, and RAM would all work I would prefer to spend under 250 on the storage. I realize that's not a lot for here but in case there's a problem I know there's some headroom.

I'm most concerned about the motherboard for compatibility. Would be a bit of a pain if the board didn't work with FreeNAS or something like that. I am located in North America, so I can take advantage of some of the US eBay sellers deals and such.
Apologies if the links are broken or cause issues. Thank you for your help!

hervon

Patron
I onw the X9SCM. Works great with FreeNAS. Here is what I found on HardForum about the difference. Should not be an issue.

The X9SCL uses the C202 chipset, has 6 sata3, 2 pciex8, and 1 pciex4
The X9SCM uses the C204 chipset, has 4 sata3, 2 sata6, 2 pciex8, and 2 pciex4

GhzGuy

Cadet
I onw the X9SCM. Works great with FreeNAS. Here is what I found on HardForum about the difference. Should not be an issue.

The X9SCL uses the C202 chipset, has 6 sata3, 2 pciex8, and 1 pciex4
The X9SCM uses the C204 chipset, has 4 sata3, 2 sata6, 2 pciex8, and 2 pciex4

Thank you for your reply! I saw the SCM before. Thank you for filling me in on the differences!

Inxsible

Guru
I have suggested this build to a couple of other users as well and I think would work just as well for your use case. You can skip the HBA since you don't have as many disks. But it would be best if you used at least 2 disks in a mirror to get the redundancy.

GhzGuy

Cadet
I have suggested this build to a couple of other users as well and I think would work just as well for your use case. You can skip the HBA since you don't have as many disks. But it would be best if you used at least 2 disks in a mirror to get the redundancy.

Much appreciated! I was planning to do a mirrored setup just in case. Good to know I was at least on the correct line of thinking.