Is FreeNAS Update FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 Really Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Elliott

Dabbler
Recently I have been receiving notices from my FreeNAS to install this update:
Version: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3
Changelog:
#23459 Bug Regression SMB slow listing directories with large file numbers.

My bosses don't want me to install the update, so, I did a dir *.* /S listing of all the files mapped to the I: drive letter, which contains all the files downloaded, ever. There are 76,397 files and 320,499,913,993 bytes there. The listing goes by so fast on the screen that one cannot possibly make any sense of the display. In fact, the only way to produce a listing of a FreeNAS directory that is readable it to redirect stdout to a temporary file, and then view that file in notepad or similar editor. So, my question is, do we really need this update?

Charles Elliott

FreeNAS Platform:
SuperMicro X9SCL-F-O mobo,
Xeon 1220-V2 CPU,
16 GB Kingston KVR16E11 memory,
3 x Hitachi HDS721010CLA330 1TB hard disks
3 x HITACHI HUA723020ALA640 2 TB hard disks,
Patriot Memory 16 GB USB 3 stick for O/S.

Main Platform:
SuperMicro X10SAT-F-O mobo,
Xeon E3-1220-V3 CPU,
32 GB Kingston KVR16E11 memory,
Several HGST hard disks of various sizes, one SSD

If you have to ask if you need an upgrade, the answer is likely 'no'.

Cheers,
Matt

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is all this listing files stuff? Are you just testing how fast you can list a directory? Usually if this is a serious system you don't upgrade unless it's broken. You can hide the update alerts by unchecking the box under the alerts settings. Click the flashing light in the upper right corner for this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In fact, the only way to produce a listing of a FreeNAS directory that is readable it to redirect stdout to a temporary file, and then view that file in notepad or similar editor.
FWIW, less is more.

Do you need the update? Not if you're not affected by the single fix.

StephenFry

Contributor
Maybe you still have some aux parameters configured that take care of this problem. I found that I still had:

ea support = no
store dos attributes = no

set for this reason; I think it was left over from quite a while ago.

I did the update as a I have some large image dump folders of events, shared via SMB and waiting for them to load was painful, it has certainly improved. @MatthewSteinhoff hit the nail on the head if you have to ask you likely don't need it, I have been waiting for it :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.