Motherboard Temperature

Zain

Contributor
Is it possible to view motherboard temperature readings from within SCALE? I need to be able to monitor mobo temps so that I can tweak a fan curve.

I recently replaced the R720 with my old threadripper build inside of a custom case I ordered through Protocase. I would like to setup the fans so that they modulate based on motherboard temperature readings. My thinking here is that this would be the best approach to keeping all of the HDDs nice and cool (if motherboard temps are high, it's likely due to the heat emanating from the HDDs).

Or is there another method, short of buying an external fan/temperature controller?

TIA

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Is it possible to view motherboard temperature readings from within SCALE? I need to be able to monitor mobo temps so that I can tweak a fan curve.

I recently replaced the R720 with my old threadripper build inside of a custom case I ordered through Protocase. I would like to setup the fans so that they modulate based on motherboard temperature readings. My thinking here is that this would be the best approach to keeping all of the HDDs nice and cool (if motherboard temps are high, it's likely due to the heat emanating from the HDDs).

Or is there another method, short of buying an external fan/temperature controller?

TIA

TrueNAS does that for the TrueNAS appliances...but it requires specific knowledge of the hardware to be safe.

Scripts can be used if you can get the controls and readings from Linux.... just be careful to avoid fires.

Zain

Contributor
Is there a specific example of this in action? I'm not sure how anything on the page you linked above demonstrates polling specific information/readings from the motherboard?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Is there a specific example of this in action? I'm not sure how anything on the page you linked above demonstrates polling specific information/readings from the motherboard?

No, the page is just how to run scripts...
You would need to work out what scripts to use for your motherboard and case.
It's a linux/motherboard problem... not directly addressed by TrueNAS.
There have been other sample scripts described on this forum.
Good example is here: https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/fan-scripts-for-supermicro-boards-using-pid-logic.24/

Zain

Contributor
Ahh, I see now. Thanks for the info.

I think I’m overcomplicating it. Since TN can monitor hdd temps, I can adjust fan curves in the motherboard BIOS. They would be based on mobo temperature readings but that’s fine.