Upgrade to 9.3 from 9.1.1 problems - now even more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike N

Dabbler
Had 9.1.1 installed on an 8gb USB flash. Walked through the upgrade process to 9.3 and on the final reboot, the computer hung at the BIOS (before memory tests). Removed the USB and the PC works fine.

Downloaded the 9.3 IMG and put on a secondary USB flash. The system booted up and gave option for install. Put the 8gb flash back in, and tried the execute the upgrade. Then get:

gpart: geom 'da0' Operation not permitted
dd: /dev/da0: Operation not permitted
The FreeNAS installation on da0 has failed

Went and picked up a new 8gb flash, and tried install process over again... install went successfully, but then the new 8gb flash causes the computer to lock up in the same way the first one did after the upgrade attempt.

Any ideas?!

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you do a clean installation of 9.3 to the USB flash drive, does the system boot fine?

If yes, maybe it has to do with the large jump from 9.1.1 to 9.3.

So if you can get 9.3 to bootup, try to import your config file from 9.1.1 to see what happens. If this fails you may need to upgrade 9.1.1 to 9.2.1, then upgrade to 9.3. If your configuration is minor, it may be quicker to just reconfigure manually if 9.3 boots.

Mike N

Dabbler
No... as I stated, a clean install to a new flash drive still causes the PC to lock up at boot. Like... it locks up during BIOS check, before memory check. If I remove the flash drive, the machine acts normally.

Again, this happened with 2 completely different flash drives... one with the upgrade, and one with a clean install

bestboy

Contributor
Did you try the stick in another USB port? Maybe a USB 2.0 one instead of a 3.0 one or a port that is connected to another internal USB hub.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Didn't we discuss your problem already in another thread?

Post your hardware and include the motherboard BIOS version. I'm not saying I can fix your problem but if we can rule something out. Also, if you are cross posting, please don't. You might have posted in the old 9.3 Testing thread, I don't recall.

joeschmuck

Old Man
And another idea would be to burn the ISO to a CD-R, take the USB flash drive you want to use and boot a computer (doesn't matter which one) with the CD-R and while the USB Flash is installed (do not install it after the computer is up and running), install to the USB flash (make sure you only pick the USB drive, not any internal hard drives).

I figure you are just creating the boot device wrong, or at least I hope that is the case.

Mike N

Dabbler
I did try different USB ports, same exact issue. It's acting like GRUB or something in the formatting is causing the lockup.

It's a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard with Award BIOS v6.00PG

Status
Not open for further replies.