Trying to install 9.3, only one USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to install FreeNAS 9.3 on a new system. No CD/DVD drive. I've only got one USB stick. I burned the 9.3 ISO to the USB using Win32DiskImager, it boots fine, but when I select Install and select the (same) USB stick in the menu I get an error:

gpart: geom 'da0': Operation not permitted
dd: /dev/da0: Operation not permitted

This seems pretty obvious; the installer can't overwrite the boot disk. But the 9.3 manual didn't say (clearly) that I needed two USB sticks, and I only have one. Must I go shopping again? Or is there some way to get away with just one? I read earlier posts about burning FreeNAS directly to USB without going through the install menu, is that still an option with 9.3?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

D

dlavigne

Yup, you can't install to the same stick. You can, however, upgrade from an existing 9.2.1.x installation which is probably the best-workaround for one USB slot systems.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You should be able to set up a VM (say, using VirtualBox), boot from the ISO in that, and write the installation to your USB drive. Then move the USB drive to your FreeNAS box.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or boot from CD with a USB optical drive. Or make yourself a multi-ISO loader USB drive where you carry around all the ISOs you may need.

If you have IPMI, use the Java remote viewer to mount the ISO remotely.

diedrichg

Wizard
Or boot from CD with a USB optical drive. Or make yourself a multi-ISO loader USB drive where you carry around all the ISOs you may need.

If you have IPMI, use the Java remote viewer to mount the ISO remotely.
I checked up on YUMI, looks awesome! In the meantime though I finally got access to my IPMI. I didn't realize that ADMIN/ADMIN was case sensitive. At least I now know that my X10SLM-F has BIOS 2.0 and IPMI 1.35! Anyways, it looks like the IPMI method is the cleanest method. My hangup is that I am unsure about the "Share to host" which is supposed to be a Windows Share. Total noob question: Windows Share ≠ CIFS, correct? Do I need to actually set up a Windows share? If so, do you have a good link please? Despite that, can I use my CIFS share on my FreeNAS box to mount the ISO? I found this article fairly informative for setting up the virtual mount in IPMI.
Code:
http://kb.krypt.com/article/184

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I checked up on YUMI, looks awesome! In the meantime though I finally got access to my IPMI. I didn't realize that ADMIN/ADMIN was case sensitive. At least I now know that my X10SLM-F has BIOS 2.0 and IPMI 1.35! Anyways, it looks like the IPMI method is the cleanest method. My hangup is that I am unsure about the "Share to host" which is supposed to be a Windows Share. Total noob question: Windows Share ≠ CIFS, correct? Do I need to actually set up a Windows share? If so, do you have a good link please? Despite that, can I use my CIFS share on my FreeNAS box to mount the ISO? I found this article fairly informative for setting up the virtual mount in IPMI.
Code:
http://kb.krypt.com/article/184

Never got that to work.

The easy way is to use the Java remote viewer and its built in ISO mounting function.

Status
Not open for further replies.