Upgrade from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12 - broken shares

hydra1981

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I've been using FreeNAS without issues for years. Today I upgraded the system from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12. I am noticing something rather funny though which I am not sure how to troubleshoot. Say I have one pool with a dataset called "media". This is exported via SMB and my Windows client maps it using \\server\media. I am also mapping \\server\homes which correctly picks up my home directory based on my username and password. After the upgrade when I browsed the \\server\media folder (say mapped to Z:) I see the contents of my home folder. I also have a scratch dataset (also accessed from \\server\scratch) which is fine. Any idea why is this happening? Why some datasets seem to be resolving to my home share? Please let me know if you need further details. The underlying pools seem to be ok since I can see the correct contents are there via the NFS exports.

Kind regards,

Nick

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Known issue with the
Hi everyone,

I've been using FreeNAS without issues for years. Today I upgraded the system from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12. I am noticing something rather funny though which I am not sure how to troubleshoot. Say I have one pool with a dataset called "media". This is exported via SMB and my Windows client maps it using \\server\media. I am also mapping \\server\homes which correctly picks up my home directory based on my username and password. After the upgrade when I browsed the \\server\media folder (say mapped to Z:) I see the contents of my home folder. I also have a scratch dataset (also accessed from \\server\scratch) which is fine. Any idea why is this happening? Why some datasets seem to be resolving to my home share? Please let me know if you need further details. The underlying pools seem to be ok since I can see the correct contents are there via the NFS exports.

Kind regards,

Nick
Bug in upstream. Will be fixed in U1.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just to answer my own question, U1 release date is 08/12/2020. Is there a workaround on the issue?
Issue is in compiled code in samba (not a simple matter of changing a couple of lines of python code). You can disable you homes shares and it should work (or rename your "media" share to something different).

hydra1981

Dabbler
Issue is in compiled code in samba (not a simple matter of changing a couple of lines of python code). You can disable you homes shares and it should work (or rename your "media" share to something different).

Thank you - understood. That will keep me going until a fix is released :) Much appreciated!