FreeNAS 11.3 upgrade removed a dataset

David Henrickson

Explorer
Hello,

My computer server equipment should be in my signature, if it isn't, I will updated accordingly. Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger on the 11.2 to 11.3 release upgrade. With that, I have NOT upgrade the pool, in case I need to go back. All "datasets" I created in FreeNAS show up nicely; however, one is completely gone when I try to see it on my Windows 7 machine via SMB and my PLEX which is directly on the server. So...two different machines/systems and its not showing up? Basically, my "TV Shows" Folder is gone. I created it as a whole dataset, not a folder in Windows, so that I could take snapshots. I now am getting the warning that the snapshots will not work as it cannot find the folder. My issue is, when I go into Storage>Pools and I click on that pool, that dataset shows up just fine and says it carries 4.3XTB's of stored data, so I know it is there. My issue is.....where'd it go? I did have to activate the "Enable SMB1 support" in order for my Windows 7 machine to see the drives at all. Yes, I get the warning, but I'm not upgrading my Windows 7 just yet and I still need access. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cannot "edit permissions" on the drive, as it is grayed out. Makes me want to go back to 11.2 when things just worked. I'm sure this is just something new to learn, but could someone help please? I did ZFS List and that dataset does show up and does state the correct drive usage in TB's stored on it....what am I missing? Thank you all very much. I did some searching, but nothing really with my issues explained and I did find like another one that had the same sort of issue, but not reply's as of yet....I think, if I read him right anyway.

Soun
one is completely gone when I try to see it on my Windows 7 machine via SMB
The dataset is not gone. Sounds like a permissions issue that's all. Let's have a look at a screenshot of the affected Windows share Properties > Security > Advanced.

I now am getting the warning that the snapshots will not work as it cannot find the folder.
Where are you seeing this?!

David Henrickson

Explorer
Soun

The dataset is not gone. Sounds like a permissions issue that's all. Let's have a look at a screenshot of the affected Windows share Properties > Security > Advanced.
1585592977345.png

This is also on the WIndows 7 machine. The PLEX system cannot see the Media/TV Shows drive either. That is not on the windows 7 machines, its on the same system (FreeNAS) that the storage is in. Its so weird

Where are you seeing this?!
I am seeing this in the FreeNAS "Alerts" on the right hand side of the dashboard. Where it gives up to date alerts of FreeNAS randomness. Pool needing upgrade, Storage too full, etc.

and Thanks again for all of your help!

If Plex (UID/GID 972) is to have any chance of accessing data outside the jail, it requires read access to the dataset. That's the reason why Plex can't access it atm. The ACL you're seeing is also probably the reason you don't have access to the share. If you have another share that Plex and you can see, compare its ACL with this one.

David Henrickson

Explorer
If Plex (UID/GID 972) is to have any chance of accessing data outside the jail, it requires read access to the dataset. That's the reason why Plex can't access it atm. The ACL you're seeing is also probably the reason you don't have access to the share. If you have another share that Plex and you can see, compare its ACL with this one.
I do not have a "separate UID/GID" for Plex. Everything just runs off of the root and wheel, user and group. I have run it this way for 3+ years now, with no hiccup. The datasets ACLs' are setup the same in FreeNAS, I just verified based upon your suggestion. I don't need to setup multiple users or groups, as its just me. No real need for "internal security," as it would just complicate something that doesn't need complication. I go more for simplicity.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Also, I have noticed that if I click on the properties of the "TV Shows" folder within windows, it shows 0 bytes within the folder. Only in FreeNAS, does it show the full usage of all of my TV Shows stored in there. I can't figure it out.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Now my FreeNAS has removed a folder I created within a dataset, so I cannot access that within Windows to add files (movies) to. I had it working just fine and now that this ACL thing is now active on the front. It is not accepting what I have placed in there. I have basically created every user and every group now as open and full control in this dataset and it still will not show up in Windows to be able to see it to add or even COPY OUT files so I can save them elsewhere and use them till this works. Anyone available?

David Henrickson

Explorer
Anyone yet? I set all ACL permissions to open and I can see everything now, but my TVShows Dataset. Still says it has data in it of 5Gb, but in Windows, when I open that folder its empty. Plex still cannot see the data either. Ideas?

Debugging ACLs is often not straightforward and can be very time-consuming. Everyone has a different use case. Very few of us are blessed with the uncanny insight of @anodos in this area. Anyone who has invested time in FreeNAS and uses SMB shares does need to nurture a deeper understanding of, and develop the ability to troubleshoot permissions. So, with this in mind, this is my suggestion:

Step 1: Become familiar with the resources

In particular, study the section in the User Guide on Windows (SMB) shares. The extract below is significant. I found the videos particularly useful.

SMB Tips and Tricks shows helpful hints for configuring and managing SMB networking. The FreeNAS and Samba (CIFS) permissions and Advanced Samba (CIFS) permissions on FreeNAS videos clarify setting up permissions on SMB shares. Another helpful reference is Methods For Fine-Tuning Samba Permissions.

Step 2: Design your Use case

For example:

'I would like Plex to own the dataset. I'd like my administrators to have full access to the data, any FreeNAS users to have read access to the data and everyone else no access'.

To achieve this Use case, the Windows ACL might look like the following (FreeNAS 11.2 and earlier):

Under FreeNAS 11.2

Under 11.3, it will look slightly different, but the result is the same.

screenshot.243.png

Step 3: Test before Use

Before retrofitting the ACL to your data, I'd urge you to work with a test dataset and share and confirm that the ACL you design for your Use case works on it. Once you're satisfied, apply it to the actual dataset and share.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Ok...I have read this front to back and back to front more times than I can say i was awake. I still cannot get that dataset to show the data. The TVShows data set is there....just "empty" according to Windows....and thus Plex. I have even enabled show "hidden" within the dataset and all that shows up is the snapshots and a few system files. NONE of my TVShow data is there. I go into FreeNAS GUI; however, and the hard drive pool still shows that the 4.97Gb of data is still located within that dataset. Ideas? Is there a "hidden" hidden that I don't know about? Permissions aside...it still should show up...just not be accessible. It isn't even showing up. That's my concern. Once is shows up, I'll copy it out and just delete this headache dataset and start anew.

To confirm that it is a permissions issue, from the GUI shell use the ls command iteratively from the top of the pool to trace a path to your TV Shows. e.g. ls /mnt, ls /mnt/pool_name, ls /mnt/pool_name/TVShows. If you can see the TV Shows, you have a permissions issue.

David Henrickson

Explorer
To confirm that it is a permissions issue, from the GUI shell use the ls command iteratively from the top of the pool to trace a path to your TV Shows. e.g. ls /mnt, ls /mnt/pool_name, ls /mnt/pool_name/TVShows. If you can see the TV Shows, you have a permissions issue.
1587958527805.png

As you can see....it showed up. Says TVShows. But I have the permissions for my pool and sub folders as "Open." I went in and manually did that. Now...before that happened, I could at least see in the other folders, I just didn't have access to change or edit or anything. But IN the Folder TVShows....I literally can't see squat. Its just blank. Like all files within are "hidden" and do not show up even with "show hidden files" checked.

So if you look in TVShows ls /mnt/.../TVShows, are you saying there's nothing in there?

David Henrickson

Explorer
via my Windows 7 computer, yes. It did show files, now its just blank in that folder. If I go into the FreeNAS GUI, it STATES that there is 4.97Gb of data/files within that Dataset. That's the confusing part.
I want to say like 2 weeks ago, the files showed up in that folder, but then disappeared like 2 days later. I KNEW I should have copied those out...but I figured since they were there, they'd stay now. Nope......gone again. I know they are there. I do. Where? I have no idea. This is mind boggling. I don't want to go back downgrade to 11.2u8 to see if they show up again, as I don't know what that would do to my ACL's. But....I still have that option, since I didn't "upgrade the pools" to 11.3. I usually don't do that upgrade until I know all of the quirks are gone.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Not 100% sure why you posted it as a reply to yourself...maybe I'm missing something here. But, The files are not in there. That folder is blank. 100% empty from the view of my WIndows 7 computer (main). If I am in FreeNAS....it does state that SPACE TAKEN by the files I know are there is taken. But just do not show. Its like the weirdest privacy setup. Stored for eternity...just can't see them or get at them.

If there's nothing in the dataset, then it's empty. If this doesn't reconcile with the space taken, there may be some underlying ZFS issue. Do you scrub the pool periodically?

Fortunately, reviewing the OP, it looks like you've got snapshots of the dataset. Use the snapshot to clone to a new dataset and see if you can recover the shows that way.

Last edited:

David Henrickson

Explorer
The space taken matches what the advanced tabs states. It says it has files and folders within the data set. Thats from within Windows....but there is still nothing in there. I did not delete anything, it just up and didn't show one day. I do, do (haha) scrubs on the pools and it goes through smoothly each time. I fully believe that the data is still there; however, it is just in some sort of hidden venture. I am not sure if "rolling it back to 11.2" would work? Do you think that would help with the permissions/data retrieval? I DON'T want to hurt the data...I just want a potential method for it to all work.

I just want to double-check. You keep mentioning folder and Windows 7. I'm more interested in the view of the dataset from the FreeNAS shell, not the view from Windows of the share. Can you confirm that you cannot see any shows listed when viewing the dataset from the FreeNAS Shell using ls /mnt/.../TVShows? If there is nothing there, the dataset is empty.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Nope!!!!! The data is still there!!!! so.......even MORE confusing. as I'll show you a snap of my windows FOLDER now below it
1588047983267.png
1588048029768.png