Upgrade from 8.3.1 to 11 - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decibel1000

Dabbler
Hello!
I have a box in my company running FreeNAS X64 8.3.1 with 4GB RAM, 1 Proc Core 2 duo, and 6 x 2TB Seagate Cosmopolitan drives on a RAID Z2 configuration. This is a very old installation and it holds several backups from our business. This is of course not the only backup server we rely on but it would be a mess to lose anything on it. This box has proven to be very reliable over the time. As SMART tests detects any small issue on any drive we replace that drive immediately with a new one and the resilver task is always trouble free. So this box actually works, data seems to be safe despite the slow processor and very low amount of memory. The problem is that this box is slow, data transfers are very slow as all data is compressed, so it's time to move to a new hardware.
For the new hardware we bought an Intel DBS1200SPS motherboard (originally it would be a SM, but we couldn't find a reliable distributor in Brazil), a quad core XEON processor 3.4GHz with HT (total 8 core) and 32GB ECC RAM.
With this hardware I thought in installing a fresh FreeNAS version v11, mount and import the disks from the old box, load the configuration backup and upgrad zpool for a while, and be happy, however doing several simulations on a virtual environment I found that this isn't as transparent as I though it would be, mainly on the integration with our AD.
On my tests I found that the AD integration is a bit different and this might be impacting on my tests. I couldn't make any previous shares available on the network because of no user had the permissions to access those shares. SMB is working, I can list the server and shares from a Windows station but can't access the data. I don't know if this is an AD integration issue or has to do with the differences between the two FreeNAS versions.
Any tips on how to make this work? I thought in start the configuration from scratch but there are too many shares and a complex permission scheme with several security groups assigned to each share and different permissions for each group, so this would make this migration too complex.

I really appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

That hardware does not meet the minimum requirements for newer versions of FreeNAS.

Kam

Dabbler
That hardware does not meet the minimum requirements for newer versions of FreeNAS.
Really? Quad core Xeon with HT and 32GB ECC RAM does not meet the minimum hw requirements? That must be kind of joke.

Decibel1000

Dabbler
How can?
This is listed on the FreeNAS website:
  • Multicore 64-bit* processor (Intel strongly recommended)
    We will use a multicore XEON processor
  • 8GB* Boot Drive (USB Flash Drive suffices)
    No problem with this
  • 8GB* RAM
    We have 32GB ECC RAM
I believe the hardware we have is enough.
Thanks.

Artion

Patron
Intel DBS1200SPS motherboard (originally it would be a SM, but we couldn't find a reliable distributor in Brazil), a quad core XEON processor 3.4GHz with HT (total 8 core) and 32GB ECC RAM.
@dlavigne Why it doesn't meet the minimum reqirements?

blaco

Explorer
He bought new hardware for FreeNAS 11.

Is AD working/joining at your new 11 box? Are you able to get a list of users in the permissions gui or with wbinfo -u?

Artion

Patron
I couldn't make any previous shares available on the network because of no user had the permissions to access those shares. SMB is working, I can list the server and shares from a Windows station but can't access the data. I don't now if this is an AD integration issue or has to do with the differences between the two FreeNas versions.

So the question is: How to migrate the configuration, shares and the relative permissions?

D

dlavigne

Sorry, I saw the FreeNAS X64 8.3.1 with 4GB RAM, 1 Proc Core 2 duo, and 6 x 2TB Seagate Cosmopolitan drives. Carry on.

Decibel1000

Dabbler
Is AD working/joining at your new 11 box? Are you able to get a list of users in the permissions gui or with wbinfo -u?
I'm not working on that box yet. I'm still on an virtual environment doing tests. When I start the upgrade it will have to be a fast move considering a rollback (move the drives back to the old box) in case it doesn't work.
So, about your question, the AD users doesn't show on the GUI like it does on the v8.3.1, even with a fresh install without importing any external configuration or external volume. On a new FreeNas installation with a new ZFS Volume and datasets I can create the Windows shares with the "apply default permissions" checkbox marked so the user used to add FreeNas to the AD can access the SMB shares and through Windows Explorer add the proper permissions. Using the previous configurations and imported volume seems to create a mess with the permissions.
wbinfo -u actually works and shows everybody from my AD.

So the question is: How to migrate the configuration, shares and the relative permissions?
I believe so, This original box doesn't have any fancy configuration, no jails or plugins, only a basic FreeNas exposed to a Windows network.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think you are going to have to reconfigure stuff. Are you good at working with ad? There have been lots of security changes that probably prevent your new system from connecting to ad using older methods that your config has.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
From such an old version, you're better off reconfiguring from scratch. Just take note of User/Group IDs that may be of interest (not in AD).

Decibel1000

Dabbler
I think you are going to have to reconfigure stuff. Are you good at working with ad? There have been lots of security changes that probably prevent your new system from connecting to ad using older methods that your config has.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I believe! I'm digging around looking for something useful.
From such an old version, you're better off reconfiguring from scratch. Just take note of User/Group IDs that may be of interest (not in AD).
This isn't an option. The permissions scheme is not so simple. The downtime would be unacceptable. If I can't accomplish the software upgrade I will maintain FreeNas on the same version and will only change the hardware.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

blaco

Explorer
This isn't an option. The permissions scheme is not so simple. The downtime would be unacceptable. If I can't accomplish the software upgrade I will maintain FreeNas on the same version and will only change the hardware.
Be aware of problems with newer hardware and old versions of FreeBSD, It could be possible (and I think this will be the case) that such a new hardware is not supported by so old versions because of missing drivers...

Decibel1000

Dabbler
Be aware of problems with newer hardware and old versions of FreeBSD, It could be possible (and I think this will be the case) that such a new hardware is not supported by so old versions because of missing drivers...
I'm still digging around to sort out this AD problem. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade the OS version. Thanks for reminding me of this possible compatibility issue.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.